People protest power tariff hike in RajasthanAugust 9th, 2012 - 3:11 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 9 (IANS) People in Rajasthan are up in arms against the hike in power tariff saying it would put more burden on them, especially at a time of rising prices of essentials.
The Rajasthan Electricity Regulatory Commission Wednesday revised the tariff for different categories of consumers on the plea of three public sector discoms of Jaipur, Ajmer and Jodhpur that they are suffering huge losses.
A senior electricity department officer told IANS that domestic consumers using more then 300 units of electricity would have to pay Rs.5.15 per unit. The tariff was Rs.4.35 per unit earlier.
Similarly, consumers who use less then 50 units will have to spend Rs.3 per unit, as against the Rs.2.50 per unit earlier.
Those consuming electricity from 51-150 units per month will face a 65-paise hike per unit as the tariff has been increased from Rs.4 to Rs.4.65.
Consumers using 150-300 units per month will have to pay Rs.4.85 per unit which was earlier Rs.4.15.
Power tariff has been hiked for the industrial units also up to 50 paise per unit.
The revised tariff will be effective after publication of the order’s salient features by the discoms in their respective areas.
This is the second time this year the tariff has been hiked. The last tariff revision was made by the Commission in September last year.
“The electricity bill is going to burn a huge hole in the pocket,” said Madhusudan Singh, a resident of Sodala area in Jaipur.
Another resident, Kushumita Sharma, said: “It has become quite hard to cope with rising prices of grocery items. Inflation is at an all-time high. Power hike would make it worse.”
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- Rajasthan industries' strike against power price hike - Sep 10, 2011
- Your power bill goes up as tariff hiked in Delhi - Aug 26, 2011
- Power tariff in Tamil Nadu goes up - Mar 30, 2012
- Power tariff hiked in Tamil Nadu - Jul 31, 2010
- Chhattisgarh's domestic power tariff up 22 percent - Apr 08, 2011
- Power to cost more in Delhi, Dikshit indicates - Jun 25, 2012
- Delhi's power tariff lower than others: Dikshit - Aug 27, 2011
- Kolkata power firm may hike tariff - Aug 09, 2011
- Karnataka residents to shell out more for electricity - Oct 28, 2011
- Power tariff goes up in Punjab - May 09, 2011
- Power tariff hiked in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 10, 2010
- Common man spared power tariff hike in Maharastra - Sep 16, 2010
Tags: ajmer, domestic consumers, electricity bill, electricity department, electricity regulatory commission, jaipur, jodhpur, madhusudan, paise, plea, power hike, power tariff hike, protest power, public sector, rajasthan, rs 2, salient features, second time, tariff revision, units of electricity