People in Kerala begin buying gold on Akshaya TritiyaApril 27th, 2009 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 27 (IANS) People began buying gold jewellery from Monday morning here on the occasion of Akshaya Tritiya, considered an auspicious day in the Hindu calendar for buying long-term assets like gold, silver and real estate.
“Gold is the ultimate symbol of wealth and prosperity. Gold and jewellery bought and worn this day signify never ending fortune, hence we decided to buy some today,” said Sajitha Pillai, a housewife visiting a jewellery shop here.
Akshaya Tritiya falls on the third day of the Hindu month of Baisakh (April-May), when the Sun and Moon are believed to be in exalted positions and are simultaneously at the peak of brightness, which happens only once every year.
Jewellers bank on this day to see their sales going up. But a jewellery shop owner here said while sales last year were “excellent”, the slowdown and higher price of gold could impact buying this year.
“Last year, the cost of per gram of gold was Rs.1,130 and today it is Rs.1,340 per gram. Likewise, don’t forget the slowdown is also going to be a factor. The crowds are good but we will have to wait and see if we can sell as mush as we did last year,” he said.
- Gold traders on Akshaya Tritiya high - Apr 23, 2012
- Cheer for buyers as gold prices dip on Akshaya Tritiya (Roundup) - May 06, 2011
- Slip in gold prices an added incentive to buyers this Akshaya Tritiya - May 06, 2011
- Gold retains its glitter on Akshaya Tritiya (Lead) - Apr 27, 2009
- Gold prices dip an added draw to Akshaya Tritiya buyers (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- Six percent discount on gold coins on Akshaya Tritiya - Apr 23, 2012
- Jewellers in Karnataka gear up for Akshaya Tritiya - Apr 26, 2009
- Delhi heads for a day of weddings Friday - May 04, 2011
- Band baaja baarat on Delhi streets Tuesday - Apr 23, 2012
- 'MMTC to import 200 tonnes Gold this fiscal' - May 08, 2010
- Akshaya Tritiya observed by holy dip at Allahabad - May 16, 2010
- Gold sales up on Dhanteras despite high prices - Oct 24, 2011
- Gold sale up 14 percent on Akshaya Tritiya - Apr 30, 2009
- MMTC opens retail chain for gold, diamond jewellery (Lead) - Apr 21, 2009
- India again saw gold rush despite robust stock markets (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: akshaya tritiya, auspicious day, crowds, fortune, gold jewellery, hindu calendar, housewife, jewellery shop, kerala, monday morning, mush, price of gold, real estate, slowdown, sun and moon, term assets, third day, wealth and prosperity