Pensioners block highway in HaryanaJune 30th, 2011 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
Panchkula (Haryana), June 30 (IANS) Scores of elderly, handicapped people, widows and their families Thursday blocked the busy national highway number 22, connecting this Haryana town with Shimla, to protest delayed payment of their pensions, police said.
“Around 150 to 175 people jammed this highway today for over one hour. We deployed heavy police force to keep the situation under control. Traffic was diverted to avoid inconvenience to commuters,” Panchkula’s Deputy Superintendent of Police Ram Chander Rathi told IANS.
The agitators claimed that they were not getting pension for a long time.
“I have not got my old-age pension for the last ten months. Panchkula administration has assigned the work of pension disbursement to a private company. But the company officials are very errant and we are facing countless problems,” said Om Parkash, a resident of Sector 8 here.
Officials of the Panchkula administration reached the spot to pacify the protesters and assured them that the pension disbursement process will be streamlined in the next 15 days.
- India's first RFID technology toll comes up near Chandigarh - Apr 19, 2012
- Tanker accident jams highway - Jun 28, 2011
- Haryana rallies force Delhi-Agra traffic to a crawl - Nov 01, 2010
- Left leaders detained, shutdown hits Delhi (Second Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Criminal case against Delhi-Jaipur highway builder - Aug 28, 2012
- Sikh group protests outside Badal's residence - Feb 18, 2011
- Rioting, blockade over power cuts in Hooda's district - Sep 02, 2012
- Haryana pensions through electronic transfer soon - May 10, 2011
- 20 of family kept hostage as robbers ransack home - Jul 16, 2010
- Jats threaten to halt trains, cut water to Delhi (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- No toll on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days: Court - Sep 04, 2012
- Gurgaon, Panchkula, Faridabad to get radio cabs - Apr 18, 2011
- Haryana farmers torch police station - Jul 22, 2012
- NH-1 blocked by protesters in flood-hit Haryana - Jul 08, 2010
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
Tags: agitators, chander, commuters, company officials, control traffic, countless problems, deputy superintendent, disbursement, inconvenience, number 22, old age pension, panchkula, pensions, police force, private company, protesters, rathi, shimla, situation under control, widows