PE Sequoia plans $600 mn investment in IndiaMarch 15th, 2011 - 7:33 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 15 (IANS) Private-equity firm Sequoia Capital plans to invest $600 million in various companies in India over the next four to five years, a top company official said here Tuesday.
Sequoia, which manages about $1.5 billion funds in India, has already invested $900 million.
G.V. Ravishankar, managing director, Sequoia Capital India, told reporters that the investment would be in sectors like healthcare, education and agri-infrastructure.
The firm plans to focus on investment in start-ups. “We will focus on early stage entrepreneurship and will support both tech and non-tech companies,” he said.
The investment in each firm will range from a couple of crores to Rs.25 crore, he added.
Sequoia exited three companies last year after they went public. It is likely to exit six to seven more firms in 12 to 18 months. The investments range from $5 million to $25 million.
Ravishankar said education would be one of the key sectors for Sequoia’s future investment. He announced Rs.25 crore investment in K12 Techno Services Pvt. Ltd.
This would be the second round of investment into K12 by Sequoia along with SONG Investment Advisors. They had invested Rs.75 crore last year.
K12 manages over 70 English-medium schools run by 15 different trusts under the Gowtham Model School brand in Andhra Pradesh.
The funds will be utilised for growth as well as modernisation of classrooms, use of superior technology and upgradation of infrastructure.
Venkataranarayana, managing director, K12 Techno Services, said they require another Rs.200 crore in the next two to three years to fund their expansion plans.
K12 plans to open 25 new schools in Andhra Pradesh this year and set up 30 to 40 schools in Orissa and Chhattisgarh next year.
It has also identified Karnataka and Maharashtra for further expansion.
- Education provider raises $7.5 million venture fund - Feb 16, 2012
- Venture fund Sequoia invests Rs.50 crore in Stovekraft - Mar 31, 2010
- Mu Sigma raises $108 million equity fund - Dec 29, 2011
- Hero to merge investment arm with self, invest Rs.2,575 crore - Jun 04, 2012
- Data protection firm raises $5 mn venture fund - Apr 06, 2010
- Murthy's Catamaran not to exit SKS due to lock-in norm - Oct 26, 2010
- India clears 22 FDI proposals worth $112.5 million - Apr 20, 2012
- Usha Martin Q1 net profit down 86.5 percent - Jul 31, 2012
- Panasonic India eyes Rs.25,000 crore turnover by 2015 - Jun 25, 2012
- Granules India's revenues rise 37 percent - Apr 24, 2012
- IFC to take 15 percent stake in two SunEdison companies - May 10, 2012
- SAIL to invest Rs.21,000 crore in West Bengal - May 25, 2012
- BIAL to spend Rs.1,000 crore to revamp Bangalore airport - Aug 19, 2010
- Britannia to invest over Rs.200 crore in new plants - Jul 02, 2011
- Britannia to invest over Rs.200 crore this fiscal (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, companies in india, crores, english medium schools, healthcare education, india hyderabad, investment advisors, karnataka, maharashtra, model school, modernisation, orissa, private equity firm, ravishankar, rs 200, sequoia capital, start ups, superior technology, upgradation, ups