Pay more for liquor, Kerala government toldApril 17th, 2012 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 17 (IANS) The Kerala Bottlers Federation (KBF) and the Association of Distillers, Brewers and Vintners of India Tuesday urged the Kerala government to raise the price of liquor purchased from them as input costs have risen.
“The cumulative inflation from 2007 has increased by 84 per cent for ENA, 95 per cent for glass bottles, 67 per cent in freight and yet the price increase given by KSBC is mere five percent. Kerala being a non-sugarcane growing state is a net importer of alcohol from other states like Maharashtra and Karnataka and here too the prices have jumped,” KBF president Vijaya Kumar told reporters here.
Extra neutral alcohol (ENA) is a raw material for production of liquor and beer. Its price has gone up due to a shortage in the country.
“Kerala State Beverages Corporation (KSBC) has not been giving us the required purchase price increase every year. The last time the price was increased was in 2009-10 by an average of five per cent, that too after a gap of four years,” Kumar said.
The demand comes at a time when liquor sales in the last fiscal is expected to cross an all time high of Rs.7,000 crore and the revenue to the state government by way of taxes is also expected to cross Rs.6,000 crore.
Kerala today has 708 bar hotels, 383 state-owned retail outlets.
- Kerala liquor suppliers threaten supply shutdown - Jun 21, 2012
- Kerala distilleries seek hike in liquor prices - Dec 20, 2011
- Liquor prices to go up by 6 per cent in Kerala from Aug 1 - Jul 30, 2012
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
- ABD launches new brandy in Kerala - Feb 02, 2012
- Chandy asks liquor firms not to stop supplies - Aug 24, 2011
- Rs.70 crore liquor sold on Onam days - Aug 30, 2012
- Rum gives Kerala a high as state coffers swell - Aug 24, 2010
- Kerala in Catch-22 situation over bar timings - Aug 27, 2012
- Liver ailments rise in Kerala - Dec 21, 2011
- Alcohol worth Rs.34 crore sold in a single day in Kerala - Sep 01, 2009
- Liquor sales in Kerala reach 'dizzy heights' - Apr 16, 2011
- Kerala government says no to new liquor vends - May 27, 2011
- Kerala set for a gala Christmas - Dec 23, 2011
- Mayawati announces steep hike in sugarcane price - Nov 08, 2011
Tags: bottlers, brewers, crore, distillers, ena, gap, glass bottles, input costs, karnataka, kbf, ksbc, liquor sales, maharashtra, neutral alcohol, raw material, retail outlets, rs 6, sugarcane, vijaya kumar, vintners