Pawar to head EGoM on spectrumJune 29th, 2012 - 11:06 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar will head the Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) which will meet to take a decision on spectrum pricing, a senior telecom department official said Friday.
“The first meeting of the reconstituted EGoM with Sharad Pawar as head is on July 2,” the official said.
The meeting is crucial as it is being held after Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee resigned to contest the presidential poll.
Earlier, the meeting was to take place June 24 but was deferred indefinitely.
The meeting will take place to decide on key issues, including the reserve price of spectrum, mortgaging of spectrum and deferred payments.
Last month, the telecom commission had asked Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) chairman Rahul Khullar to study and analyse the reserve prices proposed earlier and their impact.
TRAI had recommended a reserve price of Rs.3,622 crore for 1 Mhz pan-India spectrum, which is around 10 times higher than the price at which 2G licenses were allocated in 2008 under the then telecom minister A. Raja.
TRAI’s proposal has been highly criticised by the industry and analysts alike. The operators have also said that if implemented this may lead to a 100 percent hike in tariff.
- 2G spectrum base price decision deferred till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- Reserve price of spectrum major concern: COAI - Jun 30, 2012
- EGoM to recommend spectrum price, but cabinet to take call - Jul 20, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum auction issues deferred again - Jul 02, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- DoT to meet operators on spectrum reserve price - Jul 13, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- EGoM to take final call Tuesday on spectrum pricing - Jun 04, 2012
- Telecom EGoM to recommend lower reserve price to cabinet for approval (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Rahul Khullar to take charge of TRAI Monday - May 13, 2012
- Telecom Commission to meet Thursday on TRAI recommendations - May 23, 2012
- GSM players to contest TRAI theory of minor tariff hike - May 07, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, crore, deferred payments, finance minister, first meeting, june 24, june 29, meeting will take place, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, rahul, raja, sharad pawar, tariff, telecom commission, telecom department, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai