Patnaik defends Vedanta varsity decisionNovember 25th, 2010 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 25 (IANS) Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik Thursday defended in the state assembly his government’s decision to set up Vedanta University, being promoted by the London-based Vedanta group, and affirmed that nothing wrong has been done.
Unhappy with his reply, the opposition members staged a walked out.
“The setting up a world class university in Orissa is most certainly in the larger public interest and his government had acted in a bonafide manner throughout the process,” Patnaik told the assembly in response to an adjournment motion.
Patnaik said his government was doing a detailed study of the court judgment and examining various legal aspects.
“The advocate general has been requested to advise the government on the subject, after which appropriate steps will be taken in accordance with law,” he said.
The Orissa High Court earlier this month quashed the process of land acquisition for the proposed Vedanta University near the Konark-Puri marine drive, some 60 km from here. It directed the authorities to return the acquired land to their owners.
The university, proposed to be set up by the Anil Agarwal Foundation promoted by NRI industrialist and Britain-based Vedanta Resources chairman Anil Agarwal, was to come up on over 6,000 acres of land with a phased investment of Rs.150 billion ($3.5 billion).
The winter session of the assembly that began Tuesday has been witnessing noisy scenes with the opposition demanding resignation of the chief minister on moral grounds.
The opposition however allowed the house to conduct its normal business Wednesday after the Speaker Pradip Amat allowed a debate on the issue.
Responding to the questions raised by some opposition members during the debate, Patnaik also reiterated that as per the records available with the government, the foundation had satisfied all the norms for converting itself from a private to public company.
- Orissa assembly adjourned over Vedanta varsity issue - Nov 23, 2010
- Orissa assembly disrupted again over university issue - Nov 24, 2010
- Orissa rally to celebrate dumping of university plan - Nov 30, 2010
- BJP activists burn effigies of Patnaik over Vedanta issue - Nov 17, 2010
- Vedanta University project gets environmental clearance - Apr 17, 2010
- Protests in Orissa over varsity land issue - Nov 18, 2010
- Land acquisition for Vedanta University quashed - Nov 16, 2010
- Orissa legislator jumps on speaker's table - Dec 14, 2010
- Orissa moves apex court on proposed Vedanta university - Dec 15, 2010
- Supreme Court bench again avoids Vedanta hearing - Jan 21, 2011
- Vedanta University: Apex court orders status quo (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
- Environment ministry puts on hold Vedanta varsity in Orissa - May 11, 2010
- Controversial Vedanta University gets Orissa assembly nod - Jul 30, 2009
- Vedanta University Bill re-introduced in Orissa assembly - Jul 25, 2009
- Vedanta committed to completing Orissa projects: Agarwal - Jun 06, 2009
Tags: adjournment motion, advocate general, amat, anil agarwal foundation, chief minister, court judgment, industrialist, konark, land acquisition, moral grounds, naveen patnaik, noisy scenes, nothing wrong, opposition members, orissa high court, pradip, state assembly, vedanta group, vedanta university, winter session