Patna team to represent India at global tech competition in SydneyApril 26th, 2012 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) A team from Patna’s Birla Institute of Technology has won the right to represent India at the worldwide finals of a tech competition in Sydney with its solution for enhancing the learning abilities of school students suffering from dyslexia.
“We hope our project does well there too, but either way, we will cherish the whole experience for a lifetime. We have learnt so much,” a representative of The D Labs said of the July finals of the Microsoft Imagine Cup 2012.
The D Labs was chosen as the best in software design category. In addition, it also took top honours in the local accessibility awards.
Its award winning entry records minute details about a child’s activities and then creates solutions suited to his or her needs and orients games and exercises to address those needs.
Now in its 10th year, the Imagine Cup saw over 50,000 students from colleges across India register this year for eight categories. In the most prestigious category, the Software Design, the top seven teams were shortlisted and competed for the first prize and the honor of representing the country at the global finals. These teams showcased their innovative projects before an eminent panel of judges with a mix of academicians and industry representatives.
Imagine Cup is a year-long activity open to students across the globe. The competition begins with local, regional and online contests, followed by screening of best projects from each country and with winners from these legs participating in the global finals held at a different location every year.
In keeping with its 10th anniversary, the competition this year challenged the students to help solve one of the many tough problems that the world is facing today, such as those identified by the United Nations in its Millennium Development Goals from eradicating extreme poverty and hunger to ensuring environment sustainability.
- NID wins global sustainable auto-design contest - Oct 05, 2011
- Bangalore whizkid wins YouTube science contest - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian students shine at Microsoft contest in Poland - Jul 21, 2010
- 3M unveils Rs.100 crore research centre in Bangalore - Sep 23, 2011
- Eight IIM-B graduates awarded gold medals - Mar 30, 2012
- Nasscom confers lifetime award on Tally's Goenka - Nov 09, 2011
- Indian helps Kiwis take bronze at 'Nerd Olympics'in Poland - Jul 09, 2010
- Kerala gets first product testing and certification centre - Aug 20, 2012
- Experts discuss advances in computer science at Amity Campus - Feb 08, 2011
- Two Maharashtra brothers to contend in US Tech Challenge - Apr 20, 2011
- Wipro joins Google's cloud platform - Aug 27, 2012
- UAE's Burj Khalifa bags best construction project award - Mar 24, 2011
- Ski championship lures sportspersons in Manali - Feb 18, 2011
- Eight students to represent India at global science fair - Apr 26, 2010
- Ireland's leading airline opts for Indian solution - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: 10th anniversary, academicians, birla institute of technology, design category, eminent panel, extreme poverty, global finals, honours, hunger, industry representatives, innovative projects, institute of technology, millennium development goals, minute details, New Delhi, panel of judges, prestigious category, school students, software design, sustainability