Passengers stranded as Air India pilots strike workApril 27th, 2011 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 27 (IANS) Scores of passengers were left stranded Wednesday as at least 10 flights from this city were cancelled after around 600 Air India pilots, who were with the erstwhile Indian Airlines, struck work demanding better pay and working conditions.
“I had to leave for an official engagement to New Delhi early this morning. My Air India flight was cancelled due to the pilots’ strike. I had no option but to pay the last minute fare for another airline as it was important to attend the meeting,” said Anukul Bhavsar, a communications professional.
Another passenger who had promised his parents a pilgrimage to Tirupati in Andhra Pradesh missed his flight to Hyderabad.
“My flight to Hyderabad was cancelled, because of which we eventually missed the flight to Tirupati,” said Yashesh Mehta, an administration professional.
“We are trying to figure out a way and might have to postpone the plan,” he added.
Several others going on vacations were seen making frantic enquiries for tickets with other airlines.
The pilots’ strike was called Tuesday midnight. Till Wednesday morning, Air India had managed to operate 10 flights from Mumbai by roping in the services of executive pilots.
The pilots, owing allegiance to the Indian Commercial Pilots Association of the former Indian Airlines which merged with Air India, have struck work demanding parity in pay with the Air India pilots and issues related to working conditions.
- Passengers harassed as Air India pilots strike work (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- 600 Air India pilots go on strike (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- 600 Air India pilots strike work - Apr 27, 2011
- Several flights cancelled as 600 Air India pilots strike work (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Four Air India flights from Kolkata cancelled - Apr 29, 2011
- Air India cancels two flights out of Chennai - Apr 28, 2011
- Eight flights cancelled in Kolkata - Apr 28, 2011
- 12 percent Air India flights cancelled as 600 pilots strike work (Third Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- Air India cancels nine flights in Bangalore - Apr 28, 2011
- Air India cancels 10 flights out of Chennai (Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Air India cancels five Kerala flights - Apr 28, 2011
- Pilots' strike stayed by court in public interest - Apr 27, 2011
- Pilots strike: 12 flights from Mumbai cancelled - Apr 28, 2011
- Striking pilots ground Air India fliers for second day - Apr 28, 2011
- Another harrowing day for Air India passengers - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: air india, air india flight, airline, commercial pilots, erstwhile, flights, indian airlines, mehta, New Delhi, owing allegiance, parents, parity, pilgrimage, pilots association, pilots strike, vacations, wednesday morning, working conditions