Parrikar assures crackdown on illegal mining in GoaMarch 26th, 2012 - 5:26 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 26 (IANS) Goa Chief minister Manohar Parrikar Monday promised a crackdown on illegal iron ore traders and assured the state legislative assembly that “not a rupee worth of illegal ore would be exported in the next financial year”.
Responding to a zero hour mention by leader of opposition Pratapsing Rane regarding Sunday’s arrests in an illegal mining at Morlem, 60 km from here, Parrikar said: “Trading should be totally restricted. Genuine people can be there, but we can’t have people from Kolkata or somewhere else trading in ore here,” Parrikar said, admitting to gross illegalities in the Goa government’s mines and geology department.
Parrikar said that even as the election code of conduct was in force, the mines department had given hundreds of trading licences fraudulently and that he was examining all the licences granted on a case-to-case basis.
“I am going through all trading licences. Illegal mining will receive a harsh treatment. There will be zero tolerance to illegal mining,” Parrikar said.
“From April 1, I will ensure that not a rupee worth of illegal ore is allowed for export,” he said.
There are more than 500 iron ore traders registered with the Goa mines and geology department.
- Goa government caps mining truck permits - Apr 04, 2012
- Goa cancels 450 iron ore trading licenses - Apr 04, 2012
- Goa mining scam: Mines director suspended - Apr 03, 2012
- Goa's mining prowess a matter of pride: Parrikar - Sep 18, 2012
- Goa PAC to probe illegal mining in forests - Aug 10, 2011
- 40 mining companies in Goa issued notice - Apr 06, 2012
- Auction iron ore from Goa, CM told - Sep 10, 2012
- Environment clearance of 93 Goa mines suspended (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Iron ore export eating away resources: Justice Shah - Sep 17, 2011
- 'Goa cap on iron ore extraction a must' - Mar 30, 2012
- Congress for special assembly session to discuss Goa mining issue - Sep 21, 2012
- Google Earth helped track illegal mining in Goa - Oct 06, 2011
- Goa mining scam worth Rs.10,000 crore: Congress legislator - Sep 17, 2011
- Mining scam rocks Goa politics - Oct 08, 2011
- Goa temporarily suspends all mining operations - Sep 10, 2012
Tags: april 1, case basis, chief minister, code of conduct, crackdown, election code, geology department, goa government, harsh treatment, iron ore, kolkata, leader of opposition, legislative assembly, manohar parrikar, mines department, panaji, rupee, tolerance, zero hour