‘Paparazzi’ with Umrao Jaan, Lady Gaga at Lakme Fashion WeekAugust 17th, 2011 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 17 (IANS) The first day of the Lakme Fashion Week (LFW) Winter/Festive 2011 brought to the table an eclectic mix of paparazzi culture and a unification of Umrao Jaan and Lady Gaga at a dual show presented by designers Jatin Varma and Payal Singhal Wednesday.
The first segment of the show saw models walking down the ramp in Varma’s collection called “Paparazzi”, inspired by the glamour and buzz of red carpet events.
“My collection was ‘Paparazzi’, a red carpet collection meant to bring lots of glamour on the ramp which gives a treat to the paparazzi all over. When I am doing red carpet, I have to keep in mind that lots of glamour is involved in it so I used lots of silk chiffons, acetates to bring it out,” Varma told reporters after the show.
The line included floor hugging gowns, edgy dresses, trousers, skirts and tops. It was embellished with both structured, fitted pieces and those with element of flare in dull gold.
The second segment offered designs by Payal Singhal. Her collection, which was an amalgamation of Umrao Jaan and Lady Gaga, presented garments that boasted of a contrasting mixture of Indian costumes of bygone era and futuristic rock ‘n’ roll world of stage dressing.
“I wanted to show old style in the modern context. It’s an endeavour to portray the elegance of Umrao Jaan in the modern pop world of stage dressing,” said Singhal.
The collection comprised of flowing translucent anarkalis and lehenga’s juxtaposed with structured silhouettes in tulle, brocade and new-age fabrics in metallics, pal blues, cream and blush rose ensconced in filigree, resham and zardosi.
The show also had celeb glamour attached to it with the presence of actress Karisma Kapoor, who was one of the first row attendees.
- Dresses inspired by red carpet glamour in LFW (With Image) - Aug 09, 2011
- Designers recreate yesteryear, spiritual charm on ramp - Aug 04, 2012
- Manish Malhotra brings curtains down on LFW in style - Aug 22, 2011
- Hema, Esha add glamour at Lakme Fashion Week - Aug 19, 2011
- Taufiq Qureshi steals WIFW show with vocal percussions - Feb 19, 2012
- Wearability factor gets prominence at LFW - Aug 05, 2012
- Archana Kochhar gives retro twist to digital prints - Aug 07, 2012
- Fashion goes beyond ramp; gets wearable, affordable (LFW Review) - Aug 08, 2012
- Dia, Sameera cheer for Shantanu-Nikhil - Feb 15, 2012
- Kajol blows kisses to sister Tanisha at LFW - Mar 05, 2012
- GOW actress Huma puts her best foot forward at LFW - Aug 07, 2012
- Mix of colours, contrast and bling at WIFW - Oct 09, 2011
- Item songs inspired Rohan Arora's footwear line (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- Designer presents incomplete collection at LFW - Aug 21, 2011
- LFW: Jatin Verma, Vizyon showcase a glamorous, gothic collection - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: acetates, amalgamation, brocade, carpet collection, dull gold, eclectic mix, futuristic rock, indian costumes, karisma kapoor, lady gaga, lakme fashion week, lehenga, old style, payal singhal, pop world, red carpet, resham, silhouettes, stage dressing, tulle