Panel to study resource use by West Bengal steel projectsDecember 5th, 2008 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 5 (IANS) The West Bengal government has formed an expert committee to study the land, coal and water requirements of various steel projects before allocating resources, a senior government official said here Friday.”The committee has already started working on eight steel projects, and made a few suggestions,” West Bengal Industrial Development Corp (WBIDC) managing director Subrata Gupta said during a seminar on the steel sector.
He said the surveys will be a continuous process and that there was no time frame for submission of reports.
The expert committee will focus on chalking out the type of technology suitable for a particular project, as well as its water, coal and land requirement, as these resources are limited, Gupta said.
“The committee is giving suggestions on how to use these resources optimally,” he said. “We expect the steel companies to abide by the guidelines laid by the committee.”
The committee is headed by Subir K. Bhattacharyya, former managing director of Durgapur Steel Plant, a unit of the Steel Authority of India.
At present, the committee is studying projects of steel companies such as Jindal Group, Adhunik Group, Abhijeet Group, Shyam Steel and Jai Balaji.
- Bengal government to sort out JSW's plant problems - Oct 29, 2011
- New land policy for industries in West Bengal - Feb 17, 2009
- Sajjan Jindal's Bengal steel project to start soon - Jul 11, 2012
- Haldia Petrochemicals expects Rs.10,000 crore turnover this fiscal - Jun 11, 2011
- WBIDC to hand over land to ITC for production base - Sep 14, 2010
- Equipment foundation of Salboni project by December - Sep 08, 2010
- HPL eyes two projects to beat financial crisis - Oct 26, 2011
- GOM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- States have to curb illegal coal mining: Jaiswal - Oct 11, 2010
- JSW Steel to start on Salboni project after Puja: Jindal - Sep 10, 2011
- Bengal inks land lease pacts with seven firms - Apr 18, 2012
- Coal India asked to streamline supply to power producers - Feb 01, 2012
- GIL seeks land to set up captive thermal plant - Jul 25, 2011
- Bengal's secondary steel sector face raw material shortage - Jan 26, 2011
- Come to Chhattisgarh for deals in food processing and IT: Chief minister (Interview) - Sep 04, 2011