Panel to give guidelines on prepaid connections (Lead)April 27th, 2012 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 27 (IANS) The Supreme Court Friday directed the setting up of a five-member committee to recommend guidelines for verification of those applying for prepaid mobile connections.
A bench of Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia, Justice A.K. Ganguly and Justice Swatanter Kumar, in its order, said the committee should be headed by the secretary, department of telecommunications (DoT), and have two members each from the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) and the DoT.
Pronouncing the order, Justice Swatanter Kumar said the committee will recommend its guidelines to the DoT, and these will be considered by the government within three months.
The apex court directions came in the wake of differences between the DoT and the TRAI over verification of those applying for prepaid mobile phone connections.
The court verdict came on the petition by Avishek Goenka who had sought directions to the DoT to frame guidelines to be followed by telecom operators in issuing prepaid mobile connections to subscribers.
- Panel to give guidelines on prepaid connections - Apr 27, 2012
- Guidelines to be framed for prepaid connections (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Apex court declines to hear plea on Telangana - Jul 15, 2011
- Apex court approves reclamation of Karnataka mines - Apr 13, 2012
- Nothing colourable in takeover, Vodafone tells apex court - Aug 03, 2011
- Court stays telecom tribunal's order on hiked 2G rates - Oct 22, 2010
- Government's plea for Vodafone verdict review dismissed - Mar 20, 2012
- SC asks CBI to probe if Yeddyurappa kin got kickbacks (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Supreme Court notice to poll panel on EVMs - Jul 25, 2011
- Cellular operators told to furnish accounts to CAG - Aug 02, 2010
- Birla wrote letter to PM: Ex-telecom regulator - Mar 16, 2012
- Nothing colourable in takeover, Vodafone tells apex court (Lead) - Aug 03, 2011
- Apex court dismisses plea against tainted MPs - Aug 12, 2011
- Supreme Court nod on river interlinking - Feb 27, 2012
- Forest bench retained due to ministry's corruption: Apex court - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,