Panama Canal earns record $2 bn in 2008October 16th, 2008 - 12:10 pm ICT by IANS
Panama City, Oct 16 (IANS) The Panama Canal linking the Pacific and the Atlantic oceans, one of the busiest man-made waterways, has earned a record $2 billion in revenues during the fiscal year 2008, Spain’s EFE news agency reported Thursday.The incomes were 14 percent higher than $1.76 billion recorded in the fiscal year 2007, which at the time was a record, the Panama Canal Authority said.
The canal’s fiscal year runs from Oct 1 to Sep 30.
The waterway posted record revenues despite a drop in the crossings during the 2007-2008 fiscal year, it said.
In February 2007, canal authorities had approved changes in the tonnage rules and classified tolls by type of ship as part of an effort to finance the waterway’s expansion plan.
The project is expected to cost around $5.25 billion after its completion in 2014, the report said.
- Panama Canal Closed Temporarily Owing To Flooding - Dec 09, 2010
- Panama Canal forecasts drop in tonnage due to recession - Feb 10, 2009
- 3-nation consortium to dig Panama Canal extension - Dec 24, 2009
- Panama Canal forecasts over $2 bn revenue in 2010 - Aug 27, 2009
- Nicaragua turns to Chinese firm to finance canal project - Sep 08, 2012
- Disney Wonder ship reaches Costa Rica - Jan 15, 2011
- Expansion work begins on Panama Canal - Jul 01, 2010
- Earthquake risk high in Panama: Study - Nov 19, 2010
- Panama Canal Documentary Shown On TV - Jan 25, 2011
- Brazilian exports on track to set new record - Oct 20, 2011
- Jindal to export 1 mn tonnes of Bolivian iron ore in 2011 - Jan 21, 2011
- Emirates Airline posts 1.5 billion profit - May 10, 2011
- Explorer finds evidence of ancient waterway linking Atlantic to Pacific - Feb 13, 2010
- Mexico puts up $1.2 bn to solve kidnappings - May 12, 2012
- China moves to protect ancient canal - Jun 09, 2012