Pan masala makers want curbs to goOctober 20th, 2011 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) Pan masala makers approached the Delhi High Court Thursday seeking an end to central government regulations restricting them from producing and selling their products that have nicotine and tobacco.
Taking note of the petition, Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice Rajiv Shakdher fixed the matter for Jan 12, 2012.
The court was hearing a petition from the Smokeless Tobacco Association which challenged the Food Safety and Standards (Prohibition and Restrictions on sales) Regulations, 2011, issued by the health ministry Aug 1.
The petitioner said that the regulation was effecting the rights of manufacturers as they produced, sold and distributed products like chewing tobacco, gutkha, pan masala and other products under a special law.
The STA claimed to have at least 20 manufacturers as its members.
“Regulation 2, 3 and 4 are contrary and in contravention of the scheme to the Cigarette and other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply Distribution) Act, 2003 which is a special enactment governing the tobacco and cigarette industry,” said the petition.
The STA said the industry contributed over Rs.3,000 crore to the exchequer and employed 30 million citizens.
Seeking the quashing of the regulation, the manufacturers alleged that they are being harassed by the government officials after the regulations came into force Aug 5.
- Notice to government on smoking scenes in films (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Court asks Delhi to decide on tobacco ban plea - Aug 22, 2012
- No sale of gutka, pan masala in pouches from March 2011 - Dec 07, 2010
- Supreme Court bans sale of 'gutkha', 'pan masala' in plastic pouches - Dec 07, 2010
- Plastic gutka sachets banned, really? - Mar 06, 2011
- No sale of tobacco products in plastic pouches from March: Supreme Court - Feb 17, 2011
- Punjab bans gutka, pan masala - Aug 27, 2012
- Himachal bans gutkha, paan masala - Jul 13, 2012
- Deadline for ban on gutkha in plastic sachet stays - Feb 17, 2011
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011
- Supreme Court refuses to lift ban on tobacco sachets (Lead) - Apr 14, 2011
- Haryana bans gutka, pan masala from Aug 15 - Jul 20, 2012
- New carcinogen in smokeless tobacco identified - Apr 27, 2012
- Bombay HC upholds ban on gutka, pan masala - Sep 17, 2012
- Delhi to host national consultation on smokeless tobacco - Mar 29, 2011
Tags: central government, chewing tobacco, cigarette industry, contravention, crore, curbs, delhi high court, distribution act, enactment, food safety, government regulations, health ministry, kaul, kishan, pan masala, petitioner, rajiv, sanjay, smokeless tobacco, supply distribution