Pakistan’s foreign investment dropsNovember 22nd, 2011 - 1:55 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 22 (IANS) The State Bank of Pakistan’s latest data show that investors remained cautious in injecting foreign investment in Pakistan, which witnessed a fall of 58 percent in the first four months of current financial year (July 2011 to June 2012).
The Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) landed $340.2 million with a drop of 27.7 percent compared with the corresponding period of previous fiscal year. Foreign Portfolio Investment (FPI) decreased by 200.8 percent in July-October with an outflow of $102.1 million.
The net foreign investment inflow was recorded from developing economies, particularly those from the Middle East countries, whereas investment from developed countries shrank, reported Xinhua.
The FDI and FPI, respectively, recorded $198 million and $5.4 million from developing economies, mainly the UAE, Kuwait, and China.
The FDI and FPI from developed countries saw a steep drop in July-October, with FDI recorded at $36.4 million and FPI witnessed an outflow of $107 million.
The inflow of foreign investment in the country has continued to slow down for the past five years owing to uncertain political and law and order situation in the country. The power and gas load shedding have further worsened the business capacity to attract investment in the country.
- India ranks 14 on FDI inflow index in 2010 - Jul 26, 2011
- RBI blames Ramesh's 'environment sensitive policies' for FDI dip - Jan 27, 2011
- Bangladesh sees nearly 16 percent fall in FDI in 2010-11 - Aug 21, 2011
- China's November FDI down to 9.76 percent - Dec 15, 2011
- FDI in Latin America hits record high - May 04, 2012
- FDI into South Africa soars - Jul 09, 2012
- Foreign direct investment into South Korea grows - Apr 05, 2012
- Global FDI rises 16 percent: UN report - Jul 06, 2012
- June logs second-highest monthly FDI inflows at $5.6 bn - Aug 08, 2011
- Mexico receives $13.4 bn in foreign investment - Nov 25, 2011
- China's FDI goes down (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- China's FDI drops (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- China's FDI inflow falls for second month (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- India seeks Mauritius investment in key sectors - Feb 07, 2012
- Measures to improve market conditions Monday: Pranab (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
Tags: 1 million, business capacity, developed countries, developing economies, fdi, foreign direct investment, foreign investment, four months, inflow, islamabad, kuwait, law and order, middle east countries, outflow, portfolio investment, state bank, state bank of pakistan, steep drop, uae, xinhua