Pakistan’s economic indicators positive: ministerDecember 20th, 2011 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 20 (IANS) Pakistan’s economic indicators were showing positive results and the government wants to improve the efficiency of state owned enterprises, says Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh.
Shaikh said Monday that economic indicators were showing positive results due to prudent economic policies initiated by the government, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
He said the government wants to improve the efficiency and performance of state owned enterprises like Pakistan International Airlines (PIA), Pakistan Steel Mills (PSM) and Pakistan Railways through the introduction of efficient management and operating processes.
The minister had said earlier this month that Islamabad had initiated reforms in the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) and these were also producing results in the form of higher tax collections.
He said Rs.640 billion have been realised during five months of the current financial year which is 28 percent higher than that of last fiscal year, reported Associated Press of Pakistan.
He added that Pakistan foreign exchange reserves have reached $18 billion and inflation has been brought down from 25 percent in 2008 to 12 percent during the current financial year.
- Pakistan vows to net 700,000 tax evaders - Dec 14, 2011
- Pakistan got Rs.972 bn as taxes in past seven months - Feb 03, 2012
- Pakistan pays Rs.1 trillion in energy subsidies - Dec 04, 2011
- Pakistan's economy improving: Minister - Nov 20, 2011
- Minister upbeat on Pakistan's economy - Sep 28, 2011
- Pakistan to have five-day week - Oct 13, 2011
- Pakistani PM briefed on economic situation - Jul 03, 2012
- Pakistan's economy needs a boost: Zardari - Dec 23, 2011
- Pakistan's economy to grow at 4 percent: Minister - Feb 07, 2012
- Pakistani lawmakers told why economy is floundering - Jan 13, 2012
- Pakistan revenue collection up 25 percent - May 20, 2012
- Business as usual unacceptable, Gilani warns PIA - Nov 04, 2011
- Pakistan wants to strengthen its energy sector - Sep 15, 2011
- Pakistan pursuing prudent economic policies: Gilani - Jan 20, 2012
- Come up with new business plan: Gilani to PIA - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: economic indicators, economic policies, efficiency, efficient management, fbr, finance minister, fiscal year, five months, foreign exchange reserves, hafeez, inflation, pakistan international airlines, pakistan railways, pia pakistan, psm, state owned enterprises, steel mills, tax collections