Pakistanis to witness increased power outagesMarch 10th, 2012 - 2:36 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, March 10 (IANS) People across Pakistan are likely to witness increased electricity outages as the country’s Tarbela and Mangla water reservoirs have touched dead level, affecting hydel power generation, Geo News reported Saturday.
The lowest levels of water in Tarbela and Mangla dams have reduced hydel power that will ultimately result in increased countrywide loadshedding, said sources.
The water level in Mangla dam has reached 1,040 ft with the outflow of 31,182 cusecs against the inflow of 15,465 cusecs.
Also, the water inflow in Tarbela dam stands at 17,100 cusecs while the outflow is 16,400 cusecs.
Located on the Jhelum river in Pakistan’s Mirpur district, the Mangla dam is the world’s 16th largest. It was built from 1961 to 1967 with funding from the World Bank.
Tarbela dam on Pakistan’s Indus river is the world’s second largest dam as per structural volume and the largest earth filled dam in the world. It is located in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province’s Haripur district, about 50 km northwest of Islamabad.
- Water rises in Himachal's Pong dam - Aug 21, 2012
- Heavy rains increase water in Himachal's Pong dam - Aug 25, 2012
- Dam discharge floods low-lying areas in Punjab - Aug 21, 2011
- Water in Himachal's Pong dam rises, no threat downstream (Lead) - Sep 23, 2010
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Bhakra, Pong level crosses capacity mark - Sep 19, 2011
- Wastage makes Pakistan one of most "water stressed" countries in world - Mar 21, 2011
- Punjab cautions against possibility of floods - Aug 17, 2011
- Water inflow into Himachal's Pong dam rises again - Sep 20, 2010
- Water released from Himachal's Pong dam into Beas (Lead) - Sep 14, 2010
- 'Floods maroon Pakistani villages as India releases Sutlej water' - Aug 21, 2011
- Himachal dam spills over amid reduced rainfall - Aug 15, 2011
- Flood gates opened at Himachal's Pong Dam - Aug 18, 2011
- US pledges 500 million dollars for Pak's Diamer-Bhasha dam - Apr 04, 2011
- Water may be released from Bhakra dam - Aug 20, 2010
Tags: cusecs, dams, electricity outages, geo news, haripur, indus river, jhelum river, mangla dam, mirpur district, northwest, outflow, pakistan, pakistanis, power generation, power outages, tarbela, water inflow, water level, water reservoirs, world bank