Pakistani female filmmaker wins US student Emmy awardMarch 26th, 2008 - 1:19 pm ICT by admin
Washngton, Mar 26 (ANI): A Pakistani female filmmaker has won the coveted student Emmy award for producing a documentary “Bismillah, in the name of Allah”, guiding the new generation of young Muslim girl scouts to balance their American and Islamic identities without compromise.
Sarah Zaman, the Pakistani national who is working here, depicts in her documentary the Indian Muslim womans struggle to break into the American political system.
The documentary tells the story of 31-year-old Farheen Hakeem, an Indian-American Muslim girl scout troop leader who puts herself under scrutiny by running for public office.
The female character in the documentary wants to take on the assumptions made about Muslims. Farheen, who wears a hijab but shakes hands with men, is shown to be neither apologetic about her religious beliefs nor silent about the biases she sees in her community, reported the Daily Times.
She takes on a white democrat who has held the seat she wants for 16 years. She loses but along the way she initiates a dialogue around what it means to be American in a post 9/11 world,
Sarah made the film jointly with Jolene Pinder as part of her graduate thesis project on a shoestring budget, completing everything between the two of them, except music composition, sound correction and title graphics.
The film was made in conjunction with the University of Florida’s Documentary Institute in 2007, while it won the Emmy in this years listings. (ANI)
- Women wear hijab in support of hate victim - Apr 05, 2012
- Fantastic bard of Benaras: A filmmaker remembers Bismillah Khan - Oct 07, 2011
- Muslim girl in US pulled from basketball game as headscarf posed 'safety risk' - Jan 20, 2011
- Saudi Arabia threatens to quit Olympics - Jul 27, 2012
- Muslim women who wear headscarves face workplace discrimination in US - Sep 29, 2010
- Cheryl Cole visits Harding in rehab - Nov 03, 2011
- Kashmiri women turn to combat sports - and win (With Images) - Mar 27, 2011
- Disneyland Muslim woman employee agrees to wear beret over hijab to end standoff - Sep 30, 2010
- World's fastest toilet on wheels - May 05, 2012
- ISI helped LeT in Mumbai attack: Headley (Lead) - May 24, 2011
- Girl Scouts Uniforms Will Be Made In The U.S.A. - Nov 03, 2010
- Honour killing over hijab gets life term in Canada - Jun 16, 2010
- 'Mortified' Muslim women barred from US skating rink for not removing headscarves - Nov 26, 2010
- 6-yr-old Muslim girl banned from riding bus for bullying boy over hijab abuse - Oct 20, 2010
- "Sarah Palin's Alaska" Premieres On TLC - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: american muslim, biases, bismillah, farheen hakeem, female character, filmmaker, girl scout troop, graduate thesis, hijab, indian muslim, music composition, muslim girl, name of allah, religious beliefs, shoestring budget, thesis project, title graphics, troop leader, university of florida, womans struggle