Pakistan prospecting for rail engines in IndiaApril 26th, 2012 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) In a move that signals the rapid progress in normalising relations, India is considering a request from Pakistan to supply rail engines to help improve its rickety train service.
Pakistan is facing an acute shortage of locomotives that has forced its railways to suspend operations of as many as 128 passenger trains in recent months. According to an estimate, out of the 500 locomotives available with the Pakistan Railways, only 70 are in operation.
Officials here said the railway ministry is discussing a proposal from the Pakistan Railways Advisory and Consultancy Services Limited (PRACS) with the external affairs ministry.
“We have received their request…we are exploring it in consultation with the ministry of external affairs,” Railway Board chairman Vinay Mittal told IANS.
According to Mittal, the proposal is at a preliminary stage and that it has been discussed only over telephone. “There is nothing in writing so far,” he said.
But the proposal got a forward push Thursday as a PRACS team held discussions with the Railway Infrastructure, Technical and Economic Services (RITES), a public sector undertaking of India.
“These are initial discussions to assess their requirement,” said a RITES official.
He said PRACS wants to buy or take on lease around 50 locomotives from India to improve its passenger train services.
The visiting Pakistan railway officials are also expected to meet Indian private companies to explore options of buying components like compressors and braking systems.
India has price advantage in manufacturing railway engines as compared to other countries, railway sources said.
- Pakistan to lease 50 rail engines from India - Sep 25, 2011
- Run trains on time, says Pakistan PM (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Release funds to railways: Zardari to government - Oct 18, 2011
- Over a third of Pakistani locomotives don't work - Oct 29, 2010
- 300 of Pakistan's 500 locomotives out of order - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan hikes train fares - Mar 13, 2012
- Pakistan Railways' chugs towards disaster: Daily - Oct 13, 2011
- Railways minister hints at fare hike - Oct 19, 2011
- Railways mulling passenger fare hike - Sep 04, 2011
- Pakistani daily questions train fare hike - Mar 14, 2012
- Bangladesh promotes its rail network - May 05, 2011
- Pakistan Railways on road to revival? - Aug 20, 2012
- Chinese locomotives chug into trouble in Pakistan - Jun 06, 2012
- `Wonder of wonders: A Pakistani train that runs on time' - Feb 05, 2012
- Plea for hygienic food in trains - Sep 19, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,