Pakistan launches first luxury trainFebruary 4th, 2012 - 1:14 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 3 (IANS) Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani Friday inaugurated the country’s first luxury train in the eastern city of Lahore.
The Business Express will run between Lahore and Karachi cities.
It is the first non-stop train to run between the provinces of Punjab and Sindh.
The train successfully completed its trial run Jan 26.
Pakistan Railways and Four Brothers International Pvt Ltd, a Karachi-based investor, will jointly operate it, Xinhau reported.
As per the agreement between the two sides, the private company will invest $2.51 million for passenger services like ticketing, luggage care, bedding and food service.
It will pay over $11 million per annum to the railways.
The agreement will be valid for five years and can be extended for another term with the consent of both parties.
The state-owned Pakistan Railways had been faced with a worst crisis during the last four years and most of its trains were suspended due to financial crisis.
State-run trains were the cheapest medium of transportation in the country.
- Pakistan's luxury train completes maiden run - Feb 04, 2012
- Non-stop train to run between Lahore and Karachi - Oct 07, 2011
- One killed in Pakistan as militants attack rail tracks - Feb 25, 2012
- Run trains on time, says Pakistan PM (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Run trains on time, directs Pakistani PM - Jul 05, 2012
- Delhi Metro airport line set to commence - Feb 23, 2011
- 3 killed, 50 injured when trains collide near Karachi - Sep 17, 2012
- Three dead as blast derails train in Pakistan - Aug 29, 2012
- Pakistan probes smuggling of wild animals from Tanzania - Jun 11, 2012
- Train to Pakistan - a journey not so pleasant - Jun 28, 2011
- From railway station to airport in 20 minutes! - Feb 22, 2011
- Delhi Metro airport line off to a flying start (Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Train services to come to standstill in Telangana - Sep 23, 2011
- On history track: Punjab Mail chugs into 100th year (With Images) - Jun 07, 2011
- Five die in Pakistan train collision - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: annum, bedding, business express, crisis state, financial crisis, food service, four brothers, gilani, international pvt ltd, investor, karachi, luggage, luxury train, pakistan railways, pakistani prime minister, private company, punjab, raza, trains, yousuf