Oversight leads to distribution of Cold War-era meat in PolandSeptember 24th, 2009 - 5:10 pm ICT by IANS
Warsaw, Sep 24 (DPA) Some 200 tonnes of Cold War-era meat — some as old as 26 years — has been delivered to Polish pre-schools, nursing homes and grocery stores after controllers overlooked the expiry dates, local media reported Thursday.
The Swedish canned products were made in the early 1980s for Sweden’s army. The cans were later exported for use as animal feed only, TVN 24 reported.
But food companies in Poland have been using the meat for products like dumplings and sausages, which have been served in the country for the past three years, TVN 24 reported.
Sweden decided to sell the canned meat in 1999 and made a deal with Poland in 2007 for the sale of 100,000 cans.
Sweden’s farming ministry said the sales agreement specified the meat couldn’t be sold for human consumption inside the European Union.
The meat was marked not saleable to keep it from affecting industry prices, not due to health reasons, the ministry said. The ministry added that Poland wasn’t an EU member at the time that Sweden decided to sell the meat.
But the meat was found to be potentially poisonous after an analysis by researchers at the University of Agriculture in Cracow, TVN 24 said.
- Six killed as trains collide in Poland (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia coach Advocaat unconcerned at Warsaw protests - Jun 03, 2012
- Polish president slams hooliganism at Euro 2012 - Jun 15, 2012
- Poland to reconstruct jet crash that killed president - Jan 23, 2011
- Warsaw clashes instigated by locals: Polish ambassador - Jun 13, 2012
- Poland sees no threat to ties with Russia because of Euro 2012 mayhem - Jun 13, 2012
- India, Poland agree on audio-visual cooperation - Jul 05, 2012
- Polish competition watchdog sues UEFA over Euro 2012 tickets - Mar 20, 2012
- 23 held in Poland for organ trafficking - Jul 06, 2012
- Russia resumes vegetable import from Poland - Jul 20, 2011
- Poland drought reveals 400-year-old sunken treasure - Sep 19, 2012
- Rowdy Russian fans head for Warsaw - Jun 15, 2012
- Poland remembers Tagore, sways to Gurudev's musical - May 03, 2012
- Euro 2012: Polish government launches social campaign - May 26, 2012
- Poland receives US Patriot missile battery - May 24, 2010
Tags: 1980s, animal feed, canned meat, canned products, cold war, cracow, dumplings, expiry, food companies, grocery stores, health reasons, human consumption, local media, nursing homes, oversight, pre schools, sausages, tonnes, tvn 24, warsaw