Over one-fifth of young Italians neither study nor workJanuary 20th, 2011 - 2:46 pm ICT by IANS
Rome, Jan 20 (IANS/AKI) Over one-fifth of Italians aged between 15 and 29 are not enrolled for education and do not have a job - the highest rate in Europe - according to a new study by Italy’s central statistics agency Istat.
Just over two million Italians aged 15 to 29 or 21.2 percent of young people were neither working nor studying in 2009, Istat said, citing the most recently available data.
Almost a fifth (19.2 percent) of youngsters had left school at 15 or 16 without obtaining a high school diploma, Istat said.
Italy’s school drop-out rate compared with an average of 14.4 percent for the 27-nation European Union, Istat noted.
Among people aged 30-34, 19 percent had obtained a degree, against a target of 40 percent set by the European Union for member states to achieve by 2020.
Less than one in two women had a job (44.4 percent), the lowest rate in the EU after Malta, according to Istat’s ‘We Italians’ study.
Italy’s rate of long-term unemployed (44.4 percent) is the highest in the EU.
Nationwide, 11.9 percent of people in work were employed off the books, while in Italy’s under-developed south, the proportion was 20 percent, Istat said.
- Unemployed Italians become shepherds - May 03, 2012
- Unemployment rises in Italy - Nov 01, 2011
- One in four Italians face poverty due to recession - May 24, 2011
- Unemployment hits 8-year high in Italy - Mar 02, 2012
- Italian MPs are top earners in Europe - Jan 04, 2012
- Unemployment rate highest in nine years in Italy - Apr 03, 2012
- Italy's industrial production rose in November - Jan 13, 2012
- One in three youths without work in Italy - Jul 02, 2010
- Consumer confidence rises in Italy - Mar 27, 2012
- High inflation smothers salaries in Italy - Apr 25, 2012
- Inflation jumps in Italy - Feb 23, 2012
- Italy's industrial output suffers steep October decline - Dec 09, 2011
- Italy's unemployment rate drops - Aug 31, 2010
- 130,000 Italians may lose jobs this year - May 04, 2012
- Consumer confidence dips to three year low in Italy - Oct 26, 2011
Tags: aki, central statistics, europe, european union, high school diploma, istat, italy, job, malta, member states, one fifth, proportion, rome, s central, statistics agency, target, two million, two women, young italians, youngsters