Over a third of India is poor, says governmentAugust 19th, 2010 - 6:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) More than a third of India, or 37.2 percent of the population, has been classified as poor, Minister of State for Planning V. Narayanasamy said Thursday.
Answering a question from Gyan Prakash Pilania in the Rajya Sabha, the minister said the Planning Commission had accepted that 41.8 percent of the rural and 25.7 percent of the urban populations were poor.
This put the “national poverty head count” at 37.2 percent, he said in a written reply.
These figures, he said, came after the Planning Commission embraced the revised poverty lines for 2004-05 as recommended by an expert group headed by Suresh D. Tendulkar.
The minister also said that the percentage of Indians living below the global poverty line as defined by World Bank had fallen from 59.8 percent in 1981 to 51.3 percent in 1990 and to 41.6 percent in 2005.
He said it was the Planning Commission that provided official estimates of the number and proportion of people living below the poverty lines at the national and state levels and in rural and urban areas.
“These poverty estimates are based on a large sample survey of household consumption expenditure carried out by the National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO) after an interval of every five years.
The next poverty estimates based on the Tendulkar methodology “will be available when the data of 66th Round of NSSO Survey for 2009-10 becomes available in end-2011″, he said.
- Entitlements will not be linked to poverty line: Planning Commission - Mar 20, 2012
- UPA coming with different versions of poverty line: BJP - Oct 04, 2011
- 40 percent of rural India lives on Rs.33 a day - Aug 01, 2012
- About 70 percent of India is poor: Top adviser - Mar 25, 2012
- Government sets up panel to review poverty line - May 24, 2012
- '25 percent urban population of India is poor' - Aug 03, 2011
- 40.74 crore people below poverty line, apex court told - Sep 21, 2011
- Raising poverty line will hamper poverty alleviation: Sen - Aug 23, 2010
- Number of poor should be decided politically: Plan panel member - Mar 22, 2012
- Eight states account for 193 million poor - Aug 19, 2010
- Poverty has increased in India: Top Adviser - Sep 25, 2011
- Planning Commission hiding Indian poverty: CPI-M - Mar 20, 2012
- Need new estimates of poverty: PM - Mar 22, 2012
- Northeast needs different norms for poverty census: Experts - Jun 23, 2011
- Count of India's poor begins Wednesday from Tripura (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
Tags: consumption expenditure, expert group, global poverty, household consumption, indians, interval, minister of state, national poverty, national sample survey, New Delhi, nsso, planning commission, poverty estimates, poverty line, poverty lines, proportion, rajya sabha, rural and urban areas, urban populations, world bank