Over 4,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrivalMay 10th, 2011 - 4:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) Over 4,000 foreigners from 11 countries used the tourist visa on arrival facility in the first four months of this year, with the maximum numbers hailing from New Zealand, Japan and the Philippines, the tourism ministry said Tuesday.
The highest number of visas on arrival (VoAs) were issued to New Zealand citizens (946), followed by Japan (777), the Philippines (623), Singapore (596), Indonesia (551) and Finland (516). Other country-nationals who availed the facility were from Cambodia (49), Vietnam (32), Luxembourg (25), Myanmar (23) and Laos (1).
According to the tourism ministry, in April alone, a total of 1,234 foreigners came to India as compared to 1,089 in March.
Indonesia topped the list in April with 255 people, followed by New Zealanders at 241. Others were from the Philippines (231), Japan (194), Singapore (165), Finland (105), Vietnam (13), Myanmar (12), Luxembourg (11) and Cambodia (7).
“During the period January-April, a total number of 4,139 VoAs on arrival were issued,” the ministry said.
The official said the maximum number of visas were issued at the Indira Gandhi International Airport here. As many as 2,228 visas were issued at the Delhi airport, followed by Mumbai (1,009), Chennai (684) and Kolkata (218).
In 2010, over 6,500 foreigners used the scheme to visit India.
The scheme was first introduced Jan 1, 2010 for citizens of Finland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand and Singapore. Following a good response, the government extended it to six more countries — Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Laos and Myanmar — from January 2011.
India introduced the scheme in its bid to promote tourism and facilitate the visits of foreigners who plan their visits at a short notice.
- More than 800 visas on arrival issued in July - Aug 12, 2011
- More foreign travellers opting for visa on arrival - Aug 13, 2012
- India issued 770 visas on arrival to foreigners in June - Jul 13, 2011
- India posts 25 percent increase in visas on arrival - Sep 11, 2012
- Rise in Visa on Arrivals in June 2012 - Jul 11, 2012
- Over 9,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2011
- Decline in Visas on Arrival in May - Jun 07, 2012
- Over 12,000 visitors get Indian visa on arrival - Jan 31, 2012
- India issues over 5,000 visas on arrival till May - Jun 08, 2011
- 34 percent jump in visas on arrival Jan-March - Apr 10, 2012
- Over 5,000 tourists from five countries avail visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2010
- 5,644 on-arrival visas issued till November - Dec 09, 2010
- 6,500 tourists availed visa on arrival in 2010 - Jan 07, 2011
- 790 tourists availed visa on arrival in January - Feb 09, 2011
- 3151 tourist visas issued under 'Visa on Arrival' scheme - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: 49 vietnam, chennai, country nationals, delhi airport, foreigners, four months, indian visa, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, kolkata, maximum number, maximum numbers, New Delhi, new zealanders, tourism ministry, tourist visa, visa on arrival, visas, voas, zealand citizens