Over 12,000 visitors get Indian visa on arrivalJanuary 31st, 2012 - 9:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 31 (IANS) Over 12,000 visitors from 11 countries used the tourist visa on arrival facility in 2011, with the maximum numbers coming from New Zealand, Japan and Indonesia, the tourism ministry said Tuesday.
“During 2011, a total number of 12,761 Visa on Arrivals were issued,” according to a statement issued here.
In 2010, over 6,500 foreigners used the scheme to visit India.
Last year, the highest number of visas were issued to citizens of New Zealand (2,762), followed by Japan (2,344), Indonesia (2,063), the Philippines (1,956), Singapore (1,848), Finland (1,335).
Other country nations who availed the facility were Cambodia (149), Vietnam (145), Myanmar (71), Luxembourg (74) and Laos (14).
Officials said in December last year, a total of 1,640 visas on arrival were offered to foreign tourists, while the number was 1,382 in November.
The highest number of visas on arrival in December were issued to New Zealand citizens (473), Japan (265), Indonesia (247), the Philippines (173), Singapore (194), Finland (246), Cambodia (7), Vietnam (18), Luxembourg (8) Laos (10) and Myanmar (9).
According to the tourism ministry, during the year the maximum number of visas were issued at Delhi airport. As many as 7,340 visas were issued at the Delhi airport, followed by Mumbai (2,816), Chennai (1,948) and Kolkata (657).
The scheme was first introduced Jan 1, 2010 for citizens of Finland, Japan, Luxembourg, New Zealand and Singapore. Following a good response, the government extended it to six more countries — Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Laos and Myanmar — from January 2011.
India introduced the scheme in its bid to promote tourism and facilitate the visits of foreigners who plan their visits at a short notice.
- 34 percent jump in visas on arrival Jan-March - Apr 10, 2012
- Over 4,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrival - May 10, 2011
- India issues over 5,000 visas on arrival till May - Jun 08, 2011
- More than 800 visas on arrival issued in July - Aug 12, 2011
- Over 9,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2011
- India posts 25 percent increase in visas on arrival - Sep 11, 2012
- India issued 770 visas on arrival to foreigners in June - Jul 13, 2011
- More foreign travellers opting for visa on arrival - Aug 13, 2012
- Rise in Visa on Arrivals in June 2012 - Jul 11, 2012
- 6,500 tourists availed visa on arrival in 2010 - Jan 07, 2011
- 790 tourists availed visa on arrival in January - Feb 09, 2011
- Buddhist pilgrims of five ASEAN nations to get visa on arrival - Dec 12, 2010
- Decline in Visas on Arrival in May - Jun 07, 2012
- Myanmar, Indonesian tourists to get visa on arrival - Jan 25, 2011
- Over 5,000 tourists from five countries avail visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2010
Tags: cambodia, delhi airport, finland, foreigners, indian visa, indonesia, kolkata, laos, maximum number, maximum numbers, New Delhi, new zealand, philippines, singapore, tourism ministry, tourist visa, tourists, vietnam, visa on arrival, zealand citizens