Over 10,000 auto-rickshaws to go off Delhi roads MondayNovember 14th, 2010 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 14 (IANS) A staggering 10,491 auto-rickshaws will go off the capital’s roads from Monday as their drives have failed to apply for smart card based permits, an official said. However, the auto unions have threatened a strike.
The Delhi government in November last year had asked the auto-rickshaw drivers to apply for smart card based permits in order to keep a record of the number of three-wheelers in the city, a transport department official said.
The auto union, however, expressed ignorance about the Delhi government’s decision.
“We haven’t heard anything from the Delhi transport commissioner and whatever we know is from the media. But it is really unfair on part of the government to cancel the permits of auto-rickshaw drivers,” said Suresh Sharma, president, Rashtravadi Janta Tipahiya Chalak Mahasangh.
According to Sharma, the government is not issuing smart card based permits to those auto drivers whose vehicles are registered in someone else’s name.
“A majority of these drivers have bought the vehicles from someone who no longer lives in the city and the vehicle is registered in the latter’s name. We have asked the transport department to transfer the vehicle in the name of the present owner and issue a new permit but they are denying it,” he said.
Rajender Soni, president of Delhi auto union, said: “If the government is not ready to issue permits to these 10,000 auto-rickshaw drivers, then we will go on a strike.”
There are about 55,000 auto-rickshaws in the capital.
- Delhi's autorickshaw drivers get 45-day breather - Nov 15, 2010
- Two-day auto strike in Delhi from Thursday - May 18, 2011
- Auto strike hits Delhi hard - Mar 31, 2011
- Delhi autorikshaw unions to join Tuesday stir - Feb 27, 2012
- Autos to go off Delhi roads on Thursday, Friday (Lead) - May 18, 2011
- Autos off Delhi roads from Thursday midnight - May 19, 2011
- Over 10,000 autorickshaws to go off Delhi roads from Monday - Nov 14, 2010
- Indefinite auto strike in Delhi from Wednesday - May 17, 2011
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit (Lead) - Feb 28, 2012
- Delhi auto, taxi rides costlier (Lead) - Jun 22, 2010
- Auto, taxi drivers protest gas price hike - May 20, 2010
- Auto strike hits Delhi, bonanza for buses, cycle rickshaws (Lead) - Apr 01, 2010
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012