Output of core industries up 2.2 percent in FebruaryMarch 27th, 2009 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi March 27 (IANS) Despite an 8.3 percent growth in cement production and 6 percent in coal output, the composite index for six core industries logged a mere 2 percent expansion in February, against 7 percent in the like month of last fiscal.
Data released by the commerce and industry ministry Friday showed that the cumulative growth in the six core infrastructure industries was 3 percent for the first 11 months of this fiscal, against 5.8 percent for the corresponding period of last fiscal.
The six core industries comprise crude oil, refined petroleum fuel, coal, electricity, cement and finished steel. They have a collective weight of 26.7 percent in the Index of Industrial Production (IIP).
Among them, production of crude oil fell 6.2 percent in February, as against a growth of 2.3 percent in the like month of last fiscal. Electricity generation was marginally better with a growth of 0.3 percent, against 9.8 percent in February last year.
The growth in cement production came on top of a 12.8 percent growth last February and that for coal also rose despite a high growth of 11.6 percent, the fresh data showed. The output of fuel products rose marginally by 0.5 percent against 5.8 percent.
- Core industries' growth rises by 6.8 percent - Mar 29, 2012
- Six core industries grew at a slow 5.2 percent in April - Jun 01, 2011
- Core industries growth falls to 2.2 percent in April - May 31, 2012
- Core industries' growth slumps to 2 percent in March - Apr 30, 2012
- Core industries growth slumps to 0.5 percent in January - Feb 28, 2012
- Slower growth in six core industries in February - Mar 26, 2010
- Eight core industries grow 7.8 percent in July - Aug 30, 2011
- Core industries growth rebounds to 6.8 percent - Dec 26, 2011
- Six core industries grew 6.6 percent in December - Jan 31, 2011
- Core industries post 3.8 percent growth in May - Jun 29, 2012
- Core industries growth falls to 3.1 percent in December - Jan 30, 2012
- India's core industry growth slumps to 3.5 percent in August - Sep 27, 2011
- Infrastructure output up 5.1 percent in April - May 28, 2010
- With 6.5 percent growth, infrastructure sectors signal recovery - Jul 23, 2009
- Inflation eases, but food prices surge - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: cement production, coal output, composite index, core industries, core infrastructure, cumulative growth, electricity generation, finished steel, fiscal data, fuel products, iip, industry ministry, infrastructure industries, New Delhi, petroleum fuel, production of crude oil