Otsuka Chemical launches new pharma plant in RajasthanMay 17th, 2008 - 12:31 am ICT by admin
Jaipur, May 16 (IANS) Japan’s Otsuka Chemical Friday announced the commencement of its Rs.1.5 billion pharma-based chemical unit manufacturing facility near here. After the inauguration, Hiroyishi Tosa, managing director of the company, told reporters that with the commencement of the new manufacturing plant, advance Cephalosporin antibiotic intermediate also called GCLE, would now be available in the country and will not have to be imported.
Indian pharmaceutical industry imports 80 percent of the GCLE, used in manufacturing of antibiotics and pain relief medicines.
“You can well imagine our stakes in India. We are the only company which manufactures GCLE,” said Tosa.
Tosa said that the company was the exclusive supplier of the chemical and the new plant would ensure that their technology is not stolen and remains “secret” with them.
Indian pharma companies have been importing GCLE from Otsuka Chemicals at $115 per kg.
“The cost will remain the same for Indian pharma companies. But they will benefit from the import tax exemption. They will now start getting GCLE in India itself,” explained Tosa.
The plant set up at Keshwana Rajput village in Jaipur will initially produce 500 tonnes of the pharma-chemical. “We would later increase our plant’s capacity,” said Tosa.
This is for the first time that the Rajasthan government with the help of the Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investment Corporation (RIICO) has been able to attract a foreign pharma-based chemical unit to the state.
- US health regulator approves Chennai drug plant - Jun 22, 2011
- Rajasthan plans more country-specific industrial zones - Oct 24, 2011
- Rajasthan, Jindal Saw sign pact for Rs.1,500 crore project - Jan 05, 2012
- Filipinos explore business with Rajasthan stone industry - Aug 25, 2012
- Six injured in clash between locals and cops in Bikaner - Mar 19, 2012
- Rajasthan's single window law facilitates investment: Minister - Mar 28, 2012
- Rs.1,500-crore cement plant to be set up in Nagaur - Sep 07, 2010
- Rajasthan steps forward to woo Japanese investors - Dec 23, 2011
- New greenfield airport in Rajasthan - Sep 14, 2010
- Accountant, wife booked for fraud - Jun 16, 2012
- Taiwanese delegation excited by opportunities in Rajasthan - Feb 26, 2011
- Himalya to invest Rs.110 crore in Rajasthan - Oct 26, 2009
- Nippon to set up steel tube components project in Rajasthan - Oct 14, 2010
- Ghilot, Tapukara now in Rajasthan's industrialisation drive - Jun 14, 2012
- 'Budget in right direction but short on growth incentives' - Mar 16, 2012
Tags: antibiotics, chemicals, commencement, import tax, inauguration, indian pharmaceutical industry, investment corporation, jaipur, kg, managing director, manufacturing plant, medicines, pain relief, pharma companies, rajasthan government, rajasthan state, riico, rs 1, tax exemption, tonnes