Orissa scuba diver to play billiards under Bay of BengalJanuary 20th, 2009 - 10:51 am ICT by IANS
Cuttack, Jan 20 (IANS) Most people soar high in their imagination. Sabir Bux dives deep. Now the international scuba diver from Orissa is going to take on a national-level billiards player for an undersea game.”I am going to play billiards underwater off the coast of Gopalpur in Orissa,” Bux told IANS.
“It is the first initiative of its kind across the globe. The effort is an extension of my dream to put Orissa on the international map for positive reasons,” the 43-year-old scuba diver said.
Supporting him is Ahsan ul-Haque, a national-level billiards player from the state.
“I am learning scuba diving from Sabir bhai and we are practising in swimming pools in Bhubaneswar. I am very excited about the game,” Haque added.
“While Sabir is teaching me scuba diving, I am teaching him how to play billiards well,” said the player who represents National Aluminium Company (Nalco) in the sports arena.
Bux, a man with a fascination for both music and diving, has already filmed music videos underwater, both in the Bay of bengal and in the Mahanadi river.
“Ocean is my fascination. I want to unravel the mystery and do more creative things. By playing billiards under sea I want to create a world record and be part of the Guinness Book of records. It will also highlight Orissa as a land of beauty and bravado,” said Bux, an engineer by education.
The game - to be played on a special metal table - will last for nearly 30 minutes. It will be telecast live.
“We will invite all major media houses to cover it. While we are playing under water, an LCD will be fixed outside so that everyone can see what we are doing there,” Haque told IANS.
The duo will first play a practice match nine feet underwater, at a swimming pool in Bhubaneswar. “The date for the practice match will be decided soon,” Haque added.
The real match will be played in a couple of months. “We are getting ready with the required infrastructure,” Bux said.
How are they planning to finance their adventure? Bux said: “We are talking to a few people and corporate houses. We seek their support to achieve this world record.”
- Underwater billiards games start in Bay of Bengal - Feb 09, 2009
- Chandigarh brothers become youngest sea-divers - Apr 22, 2011
- Orissa scuba diver to appear in Egyptian TV series - May 20, 2009
- Russian Dog Boniface Is Learning Scuba-Diving - Jul 05, 2010
- Orissa scuba diver lands in trouble for entering restricted area (Lead) - Sep 14, 2009
- Orissa scuba diver enters restricted area, faces trouble - Sep 14, 2009
- Angler hooks scuba diver instead of fish - Aug 19, 2011
- Alok himself did not think he would win a pool medal - Dec 03, 2010
- Actor Shayan Munshi learning scuba diving - Jun 26, 2010
- Boniface: First dog to do scuba diving - Jul 05, 2010
- Billiards player Mukesh Rehani no more - Jun 10, 2011
- Top hockey talent pool drying up: Former captain Dilip Tirkey - Jun 17, 2011
- Naval divers set national deep sea diving record (With image) - Feb 16, 2011
- Navy Divers set national record for deep diving - Feb 17, 2011
- Biel becomes professional scuba diver - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: bay of bengal, bhai, bhubaneswar, billiards player, bravado, cuttack, dives, fascination, gopalpur, guinness book of records, mahanadi river, media houses, nalco, national aluminium company, orissa, river ocean, scuba diver, sports arena, swimming pools, world record