Orissa launches biometric ration cardsAugust 18th, 2010 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Aug 18 (IANS) In a bid to bring transparency in the public distribution system (PDS), biometric ration cards were launched in Orissa Wednesday, an official said.
“Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik launched the cards as part of the state’s pilot project at the district head quarters of Rayagada,” the official told IANS.
Designed jointly by the state government and the World Food Programme (WFP), the hi-tech biometric registration system aims to ensure that subsidised food goes only to those entitled to it.
“We are very proud of our partnership with the Orissa government in our effort to enhance the efficiency of the Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS),” WFP India Representative Mihoko Tamamura said.
The new system uses fingerprint and iris biometrics to register individuals. Around one million beneficiaries across the district have been electronically recorded.
These records have been used to prepare ration cards and bar-coded coupons for people living in rural areas and smart cards for those living in poor urban pockets of the district.
“This biometric technology has not only helped in identifying and removing duplicate registration of beneficiaries, but has also rooted out invalid cards which were in circulation and were putting significant strain on the TPDS,” she said.
The transaction between the beneficiary and the Fair Price Shop owner will be made available on the government website, which will further enhance transparency in distribution of PDS items like rice, wheat, kerosene and others.
Based on the results of this project, the state government has envisaged that similar initiatives may be taken up in the remaining 29 districts next year.
WFP, food aid branch of the United Nations, is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Each year, on an average, WFP feeds more than 90 million people in more than 70 countries.
- Biometric ration cards for northeast soon - Apr 12, 2010
- Public distribution system to be computerised - Aug 16, 2011
- Leakages to be plugged before food security implemented - Jun 10, 2012
- Haryana to replace ration cards with smart cards - May 16, 2011
- 54 lakh Haryana families to get smart ration cards - May 28, 2011
- Click to keep tabs on fair price shops - Jul 19, 2011
- Family size can be basis for subsidised food quota: Court - Nov 11, 2010
- Centre to offload 6 months PDS grains - May 24, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to give foodgrain via biometric cards - Jul 05, 2012
- Give surplus foodgrain free to poor: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Conference of Food Secretaries to begin on Monday - Jul 11, 2010
- Discussions on PDS with states Feb 8-9: Thomas - Jan 13, 2012
- Food secretaries suggest monitoring of public distribution system (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: beneficiaries, beneficiary, biometric technology, chief minister, fingerprint, food aid, government website, head quarters, humanitarian agency, india representative, kerosene, mihoko, naveen patnaik, orissa government, pilot project, public distribution system, ration cards, registration system, smart cards, world food programme