Orissa CM says Kandhamal violence due to SC-ST conflictOctober 13th, 2008 - 7:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 13 (ANI): Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said that the recent incidents of violence in the State were a manifestation of the “conflict of interest” between Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, at the National Integration Council (NIC) meeting here on Monday.
While referring to two incidents of communal violence in Kandhamal, Patnaik said there were clashes between members of SC and ST communities in the past due to conflict of interest in matters of land rights, employment opportunities and religion.
“The recent incidents of violence in Kandhamal are a manifestation of such discord,” he said.
Patnaik insisted that the situation in Kandhamal has been brought under control and a number of measures initiated to facilitate harmonious and speedier socio-economic development of different communities living in the district.
He further said that a Special Administrator of the rank of a Commissioner has been appointed in the district to oversee the development of the area.
Patnaik said that the administrator has been given powers to settle long-standing issues over land rights, and added that 53 per cent of the population in the district comprises of STs while 22 per cent are SCs.
In Kandhamal district violence against Christians and churches has been blamed on Bajrang Dal, prompting demands for banning the Sangh Parivar outfit. (ANI)
- Decision on Bajrang Dal ban rests with centre: Naveen Patnaik - Oct 13, 2008
- Rape cases against SC and ST women increasing - Mar 13, 2012
- Udit Raj welcomes decision on Lokpal reservations - Dec 21, 2011
- Communal violence bill affects states' autonomy: Patnaik - Sep 10, 2011
- Mayawati demands constitution amendment for SC/ST quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Posts for SCs, STs lie vacant in central universities - Aug 20, 2012
- Amend statute for job promotions to SCs, STs: Mayawati - Apr 30, 2012
- Trinamool Congress joins opposition against communal violence bill (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2011
- Delhi to increase loan amount for minorities, Dalits - Nov 16, 2011
- Protests against EU team's Kandhamal visit, five held - Feb 03, 2010
- Some youth radicalised, need to address it: PM (Intro Roundup) - Sep 10, 2011
- Need to wean away youth from radicalisation: PM (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2011
- Minority institutions can't be forced to implement teachers' quota: Court - Jul 16, 2010
- Bangalore Christians staged rally against probe reports on church attacks - Feb 22, 2011
- Panel clears BJP, Hindu groups of church attacks; opposition cries foul (Lead) - Jan 28, 2011
Tags: castes, chief minister, christians, clashes, communal violence, conflict of interest, discord, economic development, employment opportunities, integration council, manifestation, national integration, naveen patnaik, New Delhi, nic, orissa cm, recent incidents, sangh parivar, sts, violence against