Orissa bans import of poultry from West BengalDecember 16th, 2008 - 11:33 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 16 (IANS) Orissa has imposed a ban on the inflow of poultry from neighbouring states following the confirmation of the presence of H5N1 bird flu virus in West Bengal, an official said Tuesday.”We have banned the import of poultry birds and poultry products from neighbouring states, including West Bengal and Jharkhand,” Bishnupada Sethi, director of the fisheries and animal resource development department, told IANS.
He said the state government had collected blood samples from thousands of birds from various parts of the state but all of them tested negative for bird flu.
“We have asked the collectors of at least eight districts located in the border regions to remain alert,” Sethi said, adding that “instructions have also been given to men at all check posts to examine vehicles passing through their gates to ensure no poultry enters the state”.
The West Bengal government Monday said strains of the dreaded avian flu virus were detected by the High Security Animal Disease Laboratory at Bhopal in blood samples collected from two dead poultry birds in Malda district.
- Culling of birds starts in Bengal - Sep 20, 2011
- 2,000 chickens culled in Orissa over flu fear - Dec 18, 2008
- India confirms bird flu in Bengal, PM concerned - Sep 20, 2011
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Tripura on fresh bird flu alert, bans poultry imports - Nov 19, 2011
- Odisha alerts officials after test confirms bird flu - Jan 09, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling of birds planned in Bhubaneswar (Lead) - Feb 04, 2012
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Bird flu case surfaces in Bhubaneswar - Feb 04, 2012
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu - Mar 23, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Bird flu: Odisha begins culling poultry birds - Jan 12, 2012
- Odisha orders poultry cull after detection of bird flu - Jan 11, 2012