Oracle to acquire Sun Microsystems for $7.4 billionApril 20th, 2009 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Redwood Shores (California) April 20 (IANS) US-based software major Oracle Corp plans to acquire Sun Microsystems for $7.4 billion at $9.50 per share in a cash transaction, the two companies said Monday.
“We expect this acquisition to be accretive to Oracle’s earnings by at least 15 cents on a non-GAAP (non-generally accepted accounting practices) basis in the first full year after closing,” Oracle president Safra Catz in a statement.
“We estimate that the acquired business will contribute over $1.5 billion to Oracle’s non-GAAP operating profit in the first year, increasing to over $2 billion in the second year,” Catz added.
“This would make the Sun acquisition more profitable in per share contribution in the first year than we had planned for the acquisitions of BEA, PeopleSoft and Siebel combined.”
Oracle said the acquisition was subject to approval of Sun shareholders.
“The acquisition of Sun transforms the IT industry,” said Oracle chief executive Larry Ellison.
- eBay fourth-quarter profit jumps 16 percent as Paypal and StubHub grow - Jan 21, 2010
- SAP Acquires Sybase To Give Oracle A Run For Its Money - May 13, 2010
- Two IITians among 400 richest Americans - Sep 22, 2011
- Oracle profit up 25 percent, boosted by Sun takeover - Jun 25, 2010
- HP sues ex-boss Hurd over Oracle move - Sep 08, 2010
- Indra Nooyi second most powerful woman in US business - Oct 01, 2011
- Sun will rise again with Oracle (Comment) - Apr 22, 2009
- Oracle sales down as businesses tighten belts - Sep 17, 2009
- Sun warns of earnings below expectations in fourth quarter - Jul 15, 2009
- Microsoft sues Motorola over Android phones - Oct 02, 2010
- Gates still Forbes' richest American, 4 Indians among top 400 - Oct 01, 2009
- Ascendas acquires five buildings in Hyderabad's IT hub - Feb 24, 2011
- Four of Indian-origin among America's 400 super-rich - Sep 23, 2010
- Oracle vows to oppose EU concerns on Sun deal - Nov 10, 2009
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: accounting practices, acquisitions, based software, bea, cash transaction, catz, chief executive, larry ellison, operating profit, oracle, oracle chief, oracle corp, oracle president, peoplesoft, redwood shores california, safra catz, shareholders, siebel, sun acquisition, sun microsystems