Operation against militants on the cards in outskirts of PeshawarAugust 24th, 2008 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar , Aug 24 (ANI): Following an upsurge in militancy in Peshawar in the recent weeks, an operation against suspected militants was on the cards in the outer-skirts of Peshawar , said security sources.
They said that the provincial government had decided to launch the operation in Peshawar and its suburbs to purge the city of militants. However, the sources said the mode of operation would be decided at the time of its launch.
The decision to launch the operation comes in the wake of increasing militant activities in the Mattani and Mathra areas of the city, which are close to Mohmand Agency, another militancy hotbed, reported the Daily Times.
The sources added that the operation had become necessary due to increasing militancy as well as the loss of security forces and government installations by militants in these areas.
Militancy surged in Peshawar s outskirts during August, even as militants targeted the Mattani Police Station several times. The police station is situated near the semi-tribal Darra Adam Khel area.
Earlier this month, militants blew up an electricity pylon, plunging Peshawar city into darkness for more than a week.
Militants killed 13 people, including seven Pakistan Air Force (PAF) personnel, on August 12 in a bomb attack on the Kohat Road in the limits of the Badhaber Police Station. A check-post was blown up in the jurisdiction of Mathra Police Station the same day.
Residents in Mathra say militants patrol in their area during nights, and that security forces had moved in areas near Mohmand Agency a few days ago to launch an operation. A local jirga assured police officers of support on August 16 for an operation against militants. (ANI)
- Cop killed, four injured in Peshawar blast - Feb 08, 2011
- Five blasts rock Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- Pak security forces kill 28 terrorists in Mohmand tribal region - Jan 29, 2011
- Two militant groups infighting led to suicide bombing at Darra Adamkhel mosque - Nov 06, 2010
- Mayor, 12 others killed in Peshawar suicide blast - Nov 08, 2009
- Pakistan likely to expand military operation in tribal area - Nov 23, 2009
- Peshawar police nabs two would be suicide bombers - Aug 18, 2010
- Pakistani jirga opposes military operations against Taliban - Jul 05, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban claim responsibility for mosque attack - Nov 06, 2010
- Eight die in suicide bombing in Pakistan tunnel (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- 80 percent of Mohmand cleared of militants: Pakistan Army - Sep 01, 2011
- 50 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 08, 2011
- Over 90 killed in Pakistan terror bombings, plane crash - Nov 05, 2010
- Pak security forces detain 39 suspected militants following clash in Mohmand - Jan 04, 2011
- Pak provincial government calls for emergency army action in Peshawar - Jun 28, 2010