OPEC oil price goes up ahead of expected production cutDecember 16th, 2008 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Vienna, Dec 16 (DPA) The price of oil produced by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) rose by $1.21 Monday, ahead of an expected decision Wednesday to cut output in order to raise oil prices and react to lower demand.One barrel (159 litres) of OPEC-produced crude stood at $42.53 Monday, the Vienna-based organization announced Tuesday.
OPEC President Chakib Khelil said Monday evening that all member states were in favour of lowering production at their meeting in Oran, Algeria Wednesday.
In the worst case, the 13-country organization expected oil demand to decrease by up to 500,000 barrels per day in 2009, Khelil said in Oran.
The cartel, which produces over 40 percent of oil worldwide, has seen its per-barrel basket price fall from an all-time high of $140.73 in July to $36.67 on Dec 5, pulled down by the financial crisis.
Analysts expect OPEC to slash actual production by 1.5 to 2 million barrels per day. Under OPEC’s cutback plan, Russia would also be asked to cut its output, according to Vagit Alekperov, the head of Russia’s largest private producer LUKoil.
Russia is not an OPEC member but is set to send a delegation to Oran as observer.
- Russia may cut oil output by 300,000 barrels a day - Dec 15, 2008
- Opec oil prices rises - Dec 15, 2008
- Azerbaijan may cut oil production - Dec 17, 2008
- OPEC oil price slides to $68.86 - Feb 09, 2010
- Opec crude price falls below $60 despite output cut - Oct 27, 2008
- OPEC crude price rises ahead of expected output cut - Oct 21, 2008
- OPEC oil price rises as cartel curbs production - Dec 18, 2008
- OPEC oil price climbs above 42 dollars - Jan 27, 2009
- Venezuela surpasses Saudi Arabia in oil reserves - Jul 20, 2011
- OPEC oil price inches below $37 - Dec 23, 2008
- OPEC oil prices continue to rise - Mar 13, 2012
- OPEC oil price keeps fluctuating - Nov 08, 2011
- OPEC output expected to stay unchanged - Sep 10, 2008
- OPEC expects increase in 2013 world crude oil demand - Jul 12, 2012
- OPEC daily basket price hits $97.34 per barrel - Jun 13, 2012