Online travel major launches Indian siteMarch 6th, 2008 - 8:18 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, March 6 (IANS) Global online travel company Expedia Inc Thursday marked its presence in India with the launch of its online travel booking site targeted specifically at the Indian market. “Indian online travel market is estimated to be worth over $2 billion for 2007-08 and is growing rapidly. The number of Indians travelling abroad is also growing,” said Sharat Dhall, managing director of expedia.co.in, the company’s India portal.
The company said it was the global leader in online travel, operating in 17 countries. “In the last year alone, we have helped more than 26 million people find a room for the night and put more than 22 million travellers on airplanes.”
The expedia.co.in site allows payment in Indian rupees.
“The launch of Expedia India provides us an additional foothold as we continue to invest aggressively in Asia to match the enormous scale and potential of the region,” said Dara Khosrowshahi, CEO of Expedia Inc.
“Our goal is to grow our international revenue to half of our total revenue, and burgeoning travel markets like India are key to achieving that goal.”
Founded ten years ago, the company first invested in the Asian travel market in 2005 through its investment in eLong, a leading online travel company in China.
Over 50 million people visit Expedia’s global websites each month, the company said.
- Indians prefer beach vacations for new experiences - May 16, 2012
- Indians lug extra stuff they don't use on vacation - Jun 13, 2011
- Indians among most vacation deprived: Survey - Apr 05, 2011
- IT product firm Ittiam posts $20 million revenue - Mar 21, 2012
- Lara Dutta takes people around the world in 20 minutes - Sep 01, 2012
- In extended August holiday season, people heading abroad - Aug 09, 2012
- Force10 to expand India development centre - Feb 05, 2011
- Indians top business travellers in Asia: Survey - Aug 25, 2011
- Egencia releases 2010 corporate travel global benchmarking study - Jun 08, 2010
- Australia eyes 50 million potential Indian globetrotters - Jun 16, 2012
- (VM) Toshiba to expand elevator business in India - Feb 19, 2012
- Electrolux licences Morf India to market Kelvinator purifiers - Jun 04, 2012
- Intel Capital invests $200 million in six Indian firms - Sep 30, 2011
- Keste to expand India operations with $2.5 mn investment - Jul 12, 2012
- Udaipur's Taj Lake Palace voted as India's most romantic hotel - Feb 09, 2011
Tags: 50 million, airplanes, asian travel, dara khosrowshahi, enormous scale, expedia inc, foothold, global leader, global online travel, india portal, indian rupees, indians, launch, launches, managing director, online travel booking, travel company, travel market, travel markets, travellers