Onions now at Rs.37.5/kg after raids on hoarders: MinisterDecember 22nd, 2010 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 22 (IANS) A crackdown on hoarders and black marketeers of onions was launched at the Azadpur wholesale market here Wednesday, resulting in instant rise in availability and fall in price to Rs.37.50 per kg, a Delhi minister said.”Raids were conducted at 123 points in Azadpur Mandi, resulting in a substantial increase in the availability of onions. Also, onion growers were persuaded to sell the commodity in open auction at a reasonable price. This has brought the price down to Rs.37.5 per kg,” Delhi Food and Supplies Minister Haroon Yusuf told reporters.
Yusuf said the traders have been warned against profiteering. “The city government will ensure that there is no scarcity of onions in the city,” he said.
He said the availability of onions in Azadpur market has substantially increased from 1,144 tonnes Tuesday to about 2,000 tonnes Wednesday. Only 740 tonnes of onions were supplied at Azadpur Mandi Sunday.
The minister said a control room has also been activated in the department of food and supplies to monitor the rates of onions in wholesale and retail markets of the national capital. The toll free number of control room is 1800-11-0841.
To deal with a sharp spike in onion prices, the central government Monday banned export of the vegetable till Jan 15.
- Onion prices slide as export ban takes effect (Roundup) - Dec 22, 2010
- 400 outlets to sell onions at Rs.40 a kg in Delhi - Dec 23, 2010
- Fresh onion supply pulls down wholesale price in Delhi - Jan 17, 2011
- Don't overstock onions, traders say - Dec 23, 2010
- Nafed monitoring markets to check onion prices - Nov 26, 2010
- Onion cheap in wholesale market, but not at your vendor's - Dec 22, 2010
- We'll crackdown on hoarders and black marketers: Dikshit (Lead) - Dec 21, 2010
- Dikshit to discuss onion prices crisis with officials - Dec 21, 2010
- Onion traders call off strike after talks with Delhi Chief Minister - Jan 12, 2011
- Onion prices down to Rs.40/kg on Christmas eve - Dec 24, 2010
- Onion traders call off strike, prices to dip in a week (Second Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Tomatoes join high-priced onions, more supplies come from Pakistan (Intro Roundup) - Dec 24, 2010
- Peeved at raids, Delhi onion traders continue strike - Jan 12, 2011
- Delhi onion traders to go on strike, government threatens action (Lead) - Jan 11, 2011
- Onion prices will dip by mid-January, say traders - Jan 03, 2011
Tags: black marketeers, central government, city government, commodity, crackdown, haroon, hoarders, kg, mandi, New Delhi, onion growers, onion prices, onions, open auction, retail markets, scarcity, spike, substantial increase, toll free number, wholesale market