ONGC chairman defends acquisition of Imperial EnergyJanuary 3rd, 2009 - 4:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 3 (IANS) Defending the acquisition of Imperial Energy, the state-run oil producer Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) has said the British energy major’s potential was “very good”.ONGC recently managed to get approval from 97 percent of the shareholders of Imperial Energy for its offer for acquisition at $1.89 billion (or 12.50 pounds per share).
The Leeds-based Imperial Energy has hydrocarbon assets in Russia and Kazakhstan, especially several blocks in western Siberia.
ONGC chairman R.S. Sharma said Friday evening that contrary to reports, the value of the Kazakhstan block had not been taken into account while calculating the asset’s worth.
“Valuation of Kazakhstan block was zero in our value. We knew that the block did not have potential and will not be renewed by Imperial,” he said.
There were also criticisms that ONGC did not revise the deal, as the offer was made when oil prices were around $130 per barrel.
But Sharma remained unfazed. “When we had ventured to develop Bombay High, all sorts of apprehensions were voiced. Even when we went to Sakhalin, there was a lot of criticism. Similarly in Sudan. All these ventures proved to be very successful,” he said.
On the Imperial Energy purchase, he said the potential was “very good”, describing it as of “great significance” for the company.
Sharma indicated that a major announcement was likely during this month on the acquisition, where ONGC will unveil its strategy to harness the British company’s assets.
- Imperial Energy shareholders accept ONGC offer - Dec 31, 2008
- India, Russia to increase hydrocarbon cooperation - Dec 21, 2010
- OVL records highest production from foreign assets - Aug 19, 2010
- ExxonMobil and Rosneft sign deal for joint development of Arctic and Black Sea resources - Aug 31, 2011
- ONGC to invest $20 bn on assets abroad - Mar 14, 2010
- ONGC Videsh targets 20 mn tonnes output by 2020 - Aug 18, 2011
- OVL signs deal with Russian firm in oil and gas sector - Dec 09, 2009
- India, Kazakhstan to unveil roadmap for strategic ties - Apr 16, 2011
- Kazakhstan seeks Indian investment in its rapid industrialisation - Apr 16, 2011
- Finally, India gets stake in Kazakh oil block - Apr 16, 2011
- Keen to enhance trade with Kazakhstan: Manmohan Singh - Apr 16, 2011
- Russia, India could reach $10 bn annual trade in 2010: Kremlin - Dec 07, 2009
- India, Kazakhstan welcome civil nuclear cooperation agreement - Apr 16, 2011
- India to step up oil, gas imports from Africa - Dec 09, 2011
- India looks at Russia for assured oil supply - Nov 25, 2008