ONGC caps Tripura gas well leakJune 20th, 2011 - 11:00 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, June 20 (IANS) After a week-long battle, the engineers of state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Monday sealed a leaking natural gas well in Tripura, officials said.
“The damaged tubing spool of the leaking well at Konaban village was removed and BOP (blow out preventer) placed in the well. The flow of the gas that was coming out with huge force was finally capped and the mouth of the damaged well sealed,” an ONGC spokesman told reporters.
“Now the mouth of the well would be covered as usual by chemical mud,” he added.
He said two experts from the US-based Boots and Coots had arrived at the drilling site after the sealing of the well.
ONGC group general manager K. Satyanarayana had earlier told reporters that the leakage started Tuesday evening when personnel and engineers were engaged in routine maintenance work at the pipelines and gas well at Konaban village, 40 km south of Agartala.
He said experts from Ahmedabad and Mumbai arrived here immediately after the accident and modern machines from an ONGC complex in Assam was being brought to contain the damage.
“The crises management teams (CMT) of ONGC under the leadership of V.P. Mahewar have excelled their professional excellence to bring the situation under control. Team Tripura had put all out efforts to arrange resources to the requirement to the unit of CMT and also managed the entire operation without any scratch,” an ONGC official release said Monday night
According to Satyanarayana, the ONGC has so far drilled 22 wells in the Konaban area of which 19 are gas-bearing wells.
- US experts to help ONGC cap gas leak at Tripura well - Jun 18, 2011
- Gas leak continues at ONGC well in Tripura - Jun 15, 2011
- ONGC yet to cap gas leak at its Tripura well - Jun 17, 2011
- Gas leak continues at ONGC well in Tripura (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Six firms keen to partner ONGC for Tripura fertilizer plant - Apr 12, 2012
- ONGC strikes new gas field in Tripura - Mar 15, 2011
- ONGC to set up gas-based fertilizer plant in Tripura - Jan 24, 2012
- Ammonia leak: Disaster averted in Agartala - Apr 19, 2012
- ONGC plans football academy in Tripura - Sep 11, 2012
- ONGC exploring for gas deposits in Mizoram - Aug 11, 2011
- ONGC's Rs.24 bn Assam project on fast track - Jul 23, 2011
- ONGC to set up n-plant, fertilizer unit, solar projects - Dec 29, 2011
- First unit of ONGC's Tripura project to generate power in September - Jul 09, 2012
- ONGC to commission first power project in Tripura - Jun 03, 2011
- Shale gas extraction is fraught with problems - Nov 21, 2010
Tags: ahmedabad, assam, blow out preventer, boots and coots, cmt, crises management, group general, maintenance work, management teams, monday night, mud, natural gas corporation, ongc, pipelines, professional excellence, routine maintenance, satyanarayana, situation under control, spool, tuesday evening