One killed in Noida factory blazeJuly 16th, 2011 - 11:21 pm ICT by IANS
Noida, July 16 (IANS) One worker was killed and six others were injured when a fire broke out in a garment manufacturing factory here early Saturday, a fire department officer said. Machines and merchandise worth several crores of rupees were destroyed in the blaze.
According to Chief Fire Officer Mahaveer Singh, the fire was first noticed in the apparel manufacturing unit - Shanti Garments - situated in Sector-63 area around 2.30 a.m. Saturday.
“We received information around 3 a.m. that the unit had caught fire. A team led by Fire Station Officer Som Dutt Sonkar reached the spot along with five fire tenders. On seeing the extent of the fire, three more tenders were called from the Phase-II fire station,” Singh said.
Initially, the blaze was confined to the first floor, but it started rising towards the second floor, where six workers of the factory were present. The six ran to the top floor to escape the blaze.
“The extent of fire was such that it was difficult for our personnel to enter the premises.
“While dousing the blaze, Fire Officer Som Dutt Sonkar and constable Pramod Kumar were injured. Our men rescued a worker Ranjit Singh from the first floor, that was badly engulfed in fire from all sides. He suffered critical burn injuries and died on way to hospital. The deceased belonged to Saptari district in Nepal,” Singh said.
The six persons trapped on the top floor were rescued by the fire brigade officials and rushed to hospital.
The fire is likely to have been triggered by an electrical short-circuit, though the exact reason is yet to be ascertained, Singh added.
- Medical factory gutted in Gurgaon - May 27, 2012
- 45 killed in factory fires in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Dhaka factory blaze toll rises to 25 - Dec 15, 2010
- Major fire in textile factory, no casualty - Apr 08, 2011
- Massive fire in Uttar Pradesh factory - Jun 22, 2011
- 100 die in Pakistan as two factories go up in flames (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Thane factory fire toll is four - Sep 23, 2011
- Major fire in Lucknow factory - May 29, 2012
- Building catches fire in Uttar Pradesh, four injured - May 24, 2011
- 135 die as flames engulf two factories in Pakistan (Third Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Fire destroys Shillong church, short circuit suspected - Jan 02, 2012
- At least 27 killed, 100 injured in Bangladesh factory fire - Dec 14, 2010
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Major fire in paper factory, no casualties - Apr 26, 2011
Tags: blaze, chief fire officer, constable, crores, deceased, exact reason, extent, fire brigade, fire department, fire station, fire tenders, garment, garments, manufacturing factory, nepal, phase ii, pramod kumar, premises, rupees, short circuit