One killed as flash floods hit three Assam districtsMay 28th, 2009 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 28 (IANS) One person was killed and thousands were affected as flash floods, caused by the release of water from dam reservoirs in China and Bhutan, submerged low lying areas of three districts in Assam, officials said here Thursday.
“Even though there has been no major rainfall after Tuesday night, the water level of the Brahmaputra rose substantially at Dibrugarh in eastern Assam after China released water from their dam reservoirs,” said an official of the state revenue, relief and rehabilitation department.
Similarly, Beki river created havoc in Barpeta and Baksa districts in western Assam as Bhutan released water form its dam reservoirs.
“One person was reportedly killed and thousands took shelter in safer places as flash flood in Beki river created havoc in Barpeta and Baksa districts in western Assam,” the official added.
According to official reports available here, about 150 villages in Barpeta and Baksa districts have been inundated so far. Standing crops in about 200 hectares have been washed away by the flood water.
“The surface connectivity with the two districts has been badly hit as a number of wooden and bamboo bridges have been taken away by the waters and the concrete bridge over river Beki at Domnighat has also been damaged,” the official added.
- Flood situation turns grimmer in Assam - Jun 25, 2012
- Northeast floods render 75,000 homeless, relief stepped up (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Over 300,00 stranded as Assam flood situation turns grim - Jul 04, 2009
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- Problems follow as floods recede in Assam - Jul 12, 2012
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Relief work and rehabilitation of Assam flood victims in full swing - Jul 18, 2009
- Brahmaputra crosses danger mark, Assam flood situation critical - Sep 14, 2010
- Floods recede in northeast; thousands still in shelters - Jul 02, 2012
- Assam urges weather data sharing system with neighbouring countries - Jul 03, 2012
- Over 1.5 lakh people affected as flood situation worsens in Assam - Apr 25, 2010
- Assam floods: Gogoi orders rescue of marooned - Jun 26, 2012
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
Tags: assam districts, baksa, brahmaputra, bridges, china, concrete bridge, connectivity, dam reservoirs, dibrugarh, flash flood, flash floods, flood water, havoc, hectares, rainfall, rehabilitation department, standing crops, state revenue, tuesday night, water level