Onassis diamonds dazzle at London auctionJune 12th, 2008 - 9:40 am ICT by IANS
London, June 11 (DPA) Dazzling diamonds from a collection once owned by Greek shipping heiress Christina Onassis were sold for 6.8 million pounds ($13.2 million) at an auction at Christie’s in London Wednesday. Out of the 43 pieces on offer, a necklace with a 38-carat diamond pendant proved the star lot, changing hands for 3.6 million pounds.
Items also included a rare Faberge “Buddha” - an ornament from Aristotle Onassis’ yacht - as well as rings, bracelets and pearls.
Christina Onassis, the only daughter of the Greek shipping magnate, died in 1988 from a suspected pill overdose.
- Onassis heiress to sell off her mothers pricey jewels - Jun 10, 2008
- The $1.6m car that has diamonds, rubies...and seats made of whale penis! - Oct 16, 2009
- Kangana dazzles in Rajasthani jewellery - Aug 01, 2011
- Christie's to auction "giant pearl" - Mar 30, 2011
- Rare Golconda diamonds on sale at Christie's - Apr 02, 2011
- Taylor's pearl fetches record money - Dec 14, 2011
- Hollywood star jeweller's India-inspired works on auction - Oct 10, 2010
- Play's 'Aristotle behind Kennedy death' claim angers Onassis family - Oct 23, 2010
- Yellow 'Sun-Drop' diamond auctioned for $12.36 million - Nov 16, 2011
- Massive diamond unearthed from Lesotho mine - Sep 09, 2010
- Eva Mendes to relive Callas on-screen - May 21, 2011
- World's most expensive Barbie up for grabs at $500K - Oct 07, 2010
- Yangon's gilded pride - the bejewelled Shwedagon Pagoda - May 29, 2012
- Christie's jewel auction in Dubai fetches over $8.5 mn - Apr 30, 2010
- Designer jewellery lures enthusiasts at an exhibition in Ludhiana - Sep 04, 2010
Tags: 6 million, aristotle onassis yacht, auction, bracelets, buddha, carat diamond, changing hands, christie, christina onassis, dazzling diamonds, diamond pendant, dpa, faberge, greek shipping magnate, heiress, london, pearls, star lot