Omar wants to develop Kargil as a tourist destinationJune 9th, 2012 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 9 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Saturday emphasized the need to develop Kargil, the second most important town in Ladakh as a tourism and sports destination.
“The names of Kargil and Drass are more associated with the limited war of 1999 while Drass is also known for being the second coldest place in the world. Now, we are trying to show the world its beauty, picturesque view, hospitality and polo. For doing so, it has to be advertised on a large scale, which will attract domestic and international tourists,” said Abdullah after a polo tournament in Kargil Saturday morning.
Abdullah noted that Jammu and Kashmir had a rich history of polo. “The game has been popular in the Kashmir Valley and the Ladakh region since long,” he said.
The chief minister said that tourism and sports activities would boost the economy and nurture the talent of Jammu and Kashmir in this field.
He directed officials to take immediate steps in this regard and send him a report on this.
- Fresh snowfall in Ladakh, rain in Kashmir - Mar 26, 2012
- Chidambaram reviews security in Kashmir - May 23, 2012
- Mongolian team meets Omar Abdullah, seeks tourism collaboration - May 12, 2010
- Omar inaugurates Ladakh International Film Festival - Jun 15, 2012
- Make preparations for more tourists in 2012: Omar Abdullah - Jan 23, 2012
- Germany may modify travel advisory on Kashmir - Jun 22, 2011
- 'Rich tourist infrastructure necessary for J-K tourism sector's development' - Apr 17, 2011
- Srinagar gets floating post office - Aug 22, 2011
- Tourism can boost Kashmir's economic development: Omar - Dec 31, 2011
- Cold wave continues in Kashmir, Dal Lake freezes - Dec 27, 2011
- Kashmir in deep freeze, Leh records minus 18 - Dec 31, 2011
- Snowfall forecast in Kashmir in early February - Jan 31, 2012
- Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16.6 - Dec 30, 2011
- Kashmir cold wave continues - Dec 03, 2011
- (After 1) India to promote tourism in Ladakh, Kargil - Nov 22, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,