Oman invites Indian touristsJanuary 24th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 24 (IANS) The Sultanate of Oman held a roadshow here Monday to attract Indian tourists, showcasing its infrastructure, accessibility and friendly visa facilities.Besides tourism, the roadshow also focussed on increasing business opportunities between India and Sultanate of Oman, said Lubaina Sheerazi, the Gulf country’s India representative.
“Presently, the traffic between the two countries mainly comprises visiting friends and relatives and those travelling for employment. Through these roadshows, we intend to develop tourism between the two countries and accelerate on marketing Oman as an ideal holiday destination,” Sheerazi told media persons Monday afternoon.
The roadshow travelled from Bangalore (Jan 20) and Chennai (Jan 21) to Mumbai, and will go to New Delhi Tuesday, she said.
The participants in the roadshow included Oman’s leading carrier Oman Air, Aitken Spence Hotels, Grand Hyatt Muscat, Shangri-La’s Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa, besides other tourism sector officials.
Approximately two and a half hour’s journey by air from Mumbai, Oman is the ideal short haul destination for an idyllic break, she said.
She added that Oman had a lot to offer in terms of culture, scenic beauty and products targeted at the niche, evolved traveller.
Oman’s ministry of tourism aims to promote the country through its easy accessibility, state-of-art infrastructure and friendly visa facilities for leisure and corporate travel blended.
The country’s Director General of Tourism Promotion Salim Bin Adey Al-Mamari said the country offered diverse landscapes from dry valleys to green oases, mountains to aquamarine seas.
“Besides the capital Muscat, the other important cities include Nizwa with its magnificent forts and souks, Sur, a sea coast with traditional dwellings, Masirah Island and Daymaniyat Islands for water sports, Salalah with its tumbling waterfalls, meandering streams, craggy cliffs and plunging coast of Musandam,” Al-Mamari said.
The country also has Unesco World Heritage sites like the Bahla Fort, archaeological sites of Bat, Al-Khutm and Al-Ayn, Aflaj irrigation systems, plus a mix of snazzy shopping malls and quaint traditional souks, he added.
“We are placing significant emphasis on strengthening our relationship with the trade while positioning Oman as a leisure and MICE (meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions) destination among Indian travellers,” said Khalid Al Zadjali, director of tourism events said.
The ministry has a strong promotional program in place for 2011, highlighting the various facets of the destination through media publicity, promotions and trade shows on a pan-India basis.
Oman Air’s north India country manager Dimuthu Tennakoon said that the country is well-connected by Oman Air, Jet Airways, Air India and Indian Airlines.
“With 76 direct flights a week operating from 10 different hubs in India, Oman Air has an excellent connectivity to the various regions in India. We believe that the proximity to India makes Oman a natural choice for a perfect break,” Tennakoon said.
- Shah Rukh, Lara to perform at Muscat Festival - Jan 24, 2011
- Oman woos 'evolved' Indian tourists - Feb 08, 2012
- Off the beaten track, Indian travellers explore the uncharted (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Indian travellers go off beaten track, explore the uncharted - Jun 07, 2012
- Antony to visit Oman to boost defence cooperation - May 14, 2010
- India to spend Rs.275 crore to attract tourists - Aug 06, 2010
- Egypt voted best destination by travel writers - Aug 19, 2010
- South Africa steps up efforts to woo Indian tourists - Feb 03, 2012
- Six jailed for offending Oman sultan on Facebook - Jul 18, 2012
- Antony meets Indian diaspora in Omam - May 18, 2010
- New Zealand's focus is on Indian business travellers - Apr 29, 2012
- Shah Rukh Khan Set To Be A Part Of Omani Lifestyle! - Jan 25, 2011
- Oman to allow temple, gurdwara - Nov 24, 2010
- 'Goa-Oman direct flights could ease Goan NRI woes' - Jul 05, 2011
- India, Israel ink pact to boost tourism - Jun 25, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,