Oil strike pushes Essar’s daily retail salesJanuary 8th, 2009 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 8 (IANS) Private retail outlet operator Essar Oil Thursday saw its daily sales jump in its daily sales after the ongoing oil sector strike hit supplies to petrol pumps around the country.”Yesterday (Wednesday) saw normal operations, but today, we have seen a sharp rise in demand,” a senior Essar Oil official told IANS. Essar operates about 1,000 petroleum retail outlets around the country.
The petroleum ministry has asked the country’s two private refiners, Essar and Reliance Industries, to meet any shortfall that state-owned oil companies may face.
“In the last two days, only HPCL (Hindustan Petroleum Corp) has loaded from our refineries,” he said. HPCL employees have not joined the indefinite strike call by the Oil Sector Officers Association.
Besides Essar, Shell India operates about 50 outlets. Reliance Industries, which operates the world’s largest refinery at Jamnagar, is yet to reopen its retail outlets.
Due to the strike, most of the public sector refineries have been working at less than capacity. For instance, the largest oil marketing company, Indian Oil, said its seven refineries were working at 40 percent of their capacity.
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts(Lead) - May 29, 2012
- Essar Oil earmarks entire production for domestic market - Jan 09, 2009
- Petrol bunks go dry in three Tamil Nadu districts - May 28, 2012
- Bathinda refinery to be inaugurated in April - Mar 29, 2012
- Long queues for fuel as petrol pumps run out of stocks (Intro roundup) - Jan 09, 2009
- Essar Oil in pact with IGL for NCR CNG retailing - Mar 09, 2012
- FAQs on the oil strike - Jan 09, 2009
- PM to inaugurate Bathinda refinery - Apr 19, 2012
- Rs.120 billion petroleum refinery to come up in Andhra - Nov 17, 2011
- Reliance Industries net profit up 14 percent - Apr 21, 2011
- PM launches Rs.21,500 crore Bathinda refinery - Apr 28, 2012
- Indian Oil Corp tops Fortune India 500 list - Dec 09, 2010
- Essar Hypermart to sell 1 mn tonnes steel through retail - May 18, 2012
- Energy sector deals worth Rs.7.38 lakh crore at Gujarat summit - Jan 13, 2011
- Sri Lanka rejects Indian offer to upgrade refinery - Apr 29, 2012