Oil spill off Mumbai coastJanuary 21st, 2011 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 21 (IANS) An oil spill was reported 80 km off the Mumbai coast Friday after a rupture in a pipeline carrying crude oil from state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corp’s (ONGC) offshore oil fields.A leakage has been detected at ONGC’s Mumbai Uran Trunk (MUT) oil pipeline at 8.45 a.m. The leakage was observed 2 km from Bassein oil and gas field in western offshore, a company official said.
“The regional contingency plan (which is the existing emergency response measure) has been activated immediately on detection of the leak,” he added.
Flag Officer Defence Advisory Group and Coast Guard have also been informed. National Oil Spill Disaster Contingency Plan is also being activated by the Coast Guard to ensure minimum damage to the environment.
“ONGC has mobilised the pipeline repair vessel, including three multi-support vessels, to the site to ascertain the extent of leakage for containment and repair. The initial assessment of the extent of oil spill is about one mile long,” the official said.
Oil and gas production from Mumbai High is being diverted to the ICP-Heera Uran Trunk (HUT) pipeline. Connected oil and gas wells are being closed for safety reasons. The production loss may last for about three hours only.
Due to these interim measures, a loss of 25,000 barrels is anticipated.
- Divers wait for good weather to plug Mumbai oil spill - Aug 11, 2011
- Divers to attempt plug oil leak from sunken ship - Aug 10, 2011
- US experts to help ONGC cap gas leak at Tripura well - Jun 18, 2011
- Oil spill under control, says Chavan - Aug 10, 2010
- Punj Lloyd bags Rs.469 crore ONGC pipeline order - Nov 28, 2011
- ONGC yet to cap gas leak at its Tripura well - Jun 17, 2011
- Antony to chair meeting on ship incidents - Aug 08, 2011
- No fresh reports of oil leak off Mumbai coast - Aug 10, 2010
- Efforts on to douse fire in cargo ship off Mumbai, no casualties - Sep 10, 2012
- Oil spill threatens shipping along Gulf Coast - May 01, 2010
- Gas leak continues at ONGC well in Tripura (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- ONGC reports Q1 net profit of Rs.6,078 crore - Aug 11, 2012
- Coast Guard rescues 28 from stranded vessel - Jul 19, 2010
- Indian Coast Guard rescues 28 crew of merchant ship near Mumbai - Jul 20, 2010
- Mumbai oil spill decreasing, say officials (Lead) - Aug 08, 2011
Tags: advisory group, containment, crude oil, disaster contingency plan, emergency response, flag officer, gas wells, initial assessment, interim measures, jan 21, mumbai, national oil, offshore oil fields, oil and gas, oil and gas production, oil pipeline, oil spill, pipeline repair, safety reasons, support vessels