Oil firms mulling another price hikeNovember 1st, 2011 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS) State-owned oil companies may hike fuel prices once again owing to a depreciating rupee and rise in global crude prices.
“We are at present losing Rs.1.50 per litre on petrol. To make up for this loss a desired increase in retail price should be at least Rs.1.82 a litre,” B. Mukherjee, director-finance, Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) told reporters.
“We are in discussion with other oil companies on raising prices. We are toying with the idea,” he added.
According to Mukherjee, international prices of crude were hovering around $108 per barrel, while the rupee had depreciated from 46.50 a dollar three months ago to over 49 per dollar now which has resulted in an increase in the cost of oil imports.
HPCL posted a net loss of Rs.3,364 crore Tuesday. The average cost of the Indian basket of crude went up to $108.73 per barrel, rising from $103.63 a barrel during Oct 1-16.
When contacted, the country’s biggest oil retailer Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) told IANS that the company would not be able to comment whether it intended to raise price soon.
“I can’t say at this juncture, we will be having a meeting to discuss this,” said a senior official who did not wish to be named.
In September, the oil marketing firms had hiked petrol prices by Rs.5 per litre.
While petrol is de-regulated, giving oil marketing firms the freedom to change retail prices, they still require the government’s approval to effect any changes in prices of diesel, kerosene and cooking gas.
- 'Oil companies will decide on petrol price hike' - Nov 02, 2011
- Fresh petrol price hike of Rs.1.80 per litre - Nov 03, 2011
- Petrol prices to be hiked by 70 paise from midnight (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- IOC reports quarterly net loss of Rs.7,485.55 crore - Nov 09, 2011
- Forced to hike petrol prices, say government, oil firms - Nov 04, 2011
- BPCL hikes petrol price by Rs. 2.95 per litre - Dec 14, 2010
- Petrol prices to rise by Rs 2.54 per litre from midnight tonight - Jan 15, 2011
- People have to bear some burden of oil price rise: Mukherjee - Jan 28, 2011
- Aviation fuel prices raised 3.6 percent - Dec 15, 2010
- No government role in petrol price hike: Pranab - Nov 05, 2011
- Public fumes, as petrol prices hiked again (Roundup) - Sep 15, 2011
- Petrol prices hiked by Rs.6.28 per litre plus taxes (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Petrol price cut will not help inflation: Experts - Nov 16, 2011
- Oil marketers to incur loss of Rs.121,000 crore in current fiscal - Oct 10, 2011
- Oil companies to bear Rs.121,571 crore under-recoveries: Reddy - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: crore, crude prices, director finance, fuel prices, hindustan petroleum, hindustan petroleum corporation, hindustan petroleum corporation limited, hpcl, indian basket, indian oil, indian oil corporation, ioc, juncture, kerosene, litre, marketing firms, oil companies, oil firms, oil imports, price hike