Offshore casino deadlock: Operators, Goa officials to meetJune 16th, 2009 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, June 16 (IANS) Representatives of the offshore casino operators and the Goa government’s ports department will meet Wednesday, in an attempt to break the deadlock between the two parties as the operators refused to move anchor from the Mandovi river.
In a hearing at the Panaji bench of the Bombay High Court Tuesday, the offshore casino operators however conceded, that they would be willing to park their vessels along either bank of the river, in order to ensure that the river’s navigation channel is not obstructed.
The Captains of Ports department, which oversees the functioning of minor ports in Goa had in March ordered that the casino vessels should be moved out of the river into the Aguada bay, citing congestion in river traffic.
The casino operators, who went to court against the order, maintained that Aguada bay was not a safe marine environment because of the turbulent nature of the sea in the area.
They also maintained that the vessels on which the casinos are housed were not seaworthy and could be operated only in the river, also adding that their business would be severely affected if the vessels were to be moved from the river Mandovi.
Currently, six offshore casinos are operational in the Mandovi river, with one more expected to join their ranks soon.
- Goa government forcing us to leave: casino operators - May 11, 2009
- Goa's floating casinos can't enter the sea - Sep 16, 2010
- Goa puts a freeze on new ore carrying barges - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa's offshore casino operators withdraw petition - Sep 23, 2010
- Standoff over offshore casino continues in Goa - Jun 03, 2009
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
- Goa's offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCs - Mar 16, 2011
- Goa's offshore casinos should be 12 nautical miles from shore: expert - Mar 06, 2009
- Goa to stop five offshore casinos after their permits lapse - Jul 27, 2009
- Goa Catholic priest opposes offshore casinos near village - Sep 21, 2010
- Goa's biggest offshore casino unfit, inferior: Ministry - Oct 02, 2009
- Goa casino operator moves court after relocation threat - Mar 13, 2009
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa casino operators move court after relocation orders (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
Tags: aguada bay, anchor, bench, bombay high court, casino operators, casino vessels, congestion, deadlock, goa government, mandovi river, marine environment, minor ports, navigation channel, offshore casino, offshore casinos, ports department, river mandovi, river traffic, turbulent nature