Odisha protests diesel price hike, cap on cooking gasSeptember 14th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Sep 14 (IANS) Non-Congress parties Friday staged protests in various parts of Odisha against hike in the price of diesel and restrictions on supply of subsidised cooking gas cylinders.
The government Thursday announced a hike in diesel price by Rs.5 a litre and capped supply of subsidised cooking gas cylinders to six per family per year. The decisions came into effect midnight Thursday.
In the state capital Bhubaneswar, hundreds of workers and leaders of the ruling Biju Janata Dal (BJD) took out a procession against the central government and demanded immediate rollback of the decision.
The protestors also burnt effigies of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi.
“The hike in diesel price would further make the situation worse for common people who have been struggling against high inflation and price-rise of essential commodities,” BJD vice-president Damodar Rout told IANS.
“We want an immediate rollback of the decision. While hike in diesel price will hit transport sector and impact everybody, the restriction on cooking gas cylinder will hurt lower and middle class families,” he added.
The Left parties and the Bharatiya Janata Party also organised separate protests in Bhubaneswar and Cuttack.
- Patnaik demands rollback of diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha - Sep 20, 2012
- Roll back diesel hike, cooking gas cylinder cap, demands BJP - Sep 14, 2012
- CPI-M threatens nation-wide protest against diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Shutdown cripples life in Odisha (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Point of no return, ministers to resign Friday: Trinamool - Sep 20, 2012
- BJD legislators ride bicycles to protest fuel price hike - Jun 28, 2010
- BJD calls Odisha shutdown against petrol price hike - May 25, 2012
- Protests across Andhra over diesel price hike - Sep 14, 2012
- Protests in Orissa over fuel price hike - Jun 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,